1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carbon Footprint for Newspapers ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 27, 2009.

  1. Boom_70

    Boom_70 Well-Known Member

    Random cocktail discussion lead to interesting discussion on the environmental impact of newspapers vs new technology such as Kindle

    I've not been able to find much on it. Can anyone shed any light on the carbon footprint of newspapers.
  2. Batman

    Batman Well-Known Member

    No idea, but I'd imagine it's got to be pretty substantial. First, there's all the trees you chop down for the paper. Then you've got the delivery vehicles puttering around town a few hours each day. Reporters are going places and driving, or staying in the office and running up the electric bill. The press uses a ton of electricity, which means more coal.

    Not trying to turn this into a political discussion, but if Obama and the Democratic congress pass new laws to cut our carbon output, will that finally drive the stake in the industry's heart? Newspapers don't pollute as much as other industries. We don't have smokestacks belching thick black smoke. But we do our fair share in an indirect way.
  3. Double J

    Double J Active Member

    We try just as hard as those other industries, dammit! :(
  4. Armchair_QB

    Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

    If Obama's batshit insane cap-and-trade goes thru it will put a stake thru the hearts of a lot of industries.
  5. Boom_70

    Boom_70 Well-Known Member

    I had assumed that newpapers were printed on 100 % recycled paper.
  6. franticscribe

    franticscribe Well-Known Member

    Newspapers account for 14 percent of waste in landfills by volume and are the largest single item in landfills. We may not be spewing coal ash into the air, but it's also not exactly a green industry.
  7. Batman

    Batman Well-Known Member

    Didn't even think about where all the dead papers go, but I never claimed it was a green industry.
  8. Armchair_QB

    Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

    Newsprint can be recycled, no?
  9. Football_Bat

    Football_Bat Well-Known Member

    Exactly. So whose fault is it that they're going in the landfill?
  10. franticscribe

    franticscribe Well-Known Member

    About 70 percent of it is, but that leaves 30 percent still going to the landfill.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page