1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car wreck photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I work at a shop where we don't cover every little car wreck call that comes over the scanner. Every time there is a wreck, though, someone who doesn't work in editorial will always come over and ask if we are going out there to get a photo. If we don't, they seem to recoil in horror at our callousness of not shooting a photo of a scraped-up bumper.

I'm noticing more and more that other departments seem pretty concerned about what is going on in editorial, except they have no clue of what was on the front page of the last edition of the paper.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe they have a crash fetish. Ever see that movie "Crash" with Holly Hunter and James Spader.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It really depends a lot on the size of the market and of the crash.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

even worse at a small place are the ones from the other side of the building who come in an hour after what could've been a significant accident or other breaking event that we may not have known about and ask if we went out. uh no, ya think you could've let us know an hour ago!

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At my shop, it's usually the slower ones who ask about something. If the fire department doesn't get called out, it's not worth checking out.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

When I worked at my hometown paper, my old man would ask if we went out to such and such wreck.
    I told him, "Pop, if we went to every wreck in town, all we would do is go to wrecks all friggin' day."
    We'd listen to the scanner so we heard every 10-50 there was. We wouldn't budge until we heard 10-50 I.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Worked at one of the worst police- and ambulance-chasing publications on Earth. Worse, the son of the founder - and brother of the current publisher - is an injury attorney.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This happens everywhere. As a web guy everyone puts there two cents in about what they think should be online. It's annoying as fuck.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You mean you didn't publish those pictures of those kids who put up the lemonade stand? You're losing page views.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I know your being sarcastic, but I can give a ton of reasons why putting up a picture of a kid's lemonade stand would actually cost us page views.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Mustang, just post more photos of that young lass in your avatar. THAT will generate page views! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted