1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car trouble

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've often found that by switching gas brands, the light will go out. Just sayin...

2. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

I work at a service station part-time. One thing my boss, who has been doing this for 30 years, always tells people: Yellow light means you can drive it....red lights means you have serious problems. Sounds like an oxygen sensor has gone bad or one of the other sensors. Since the car is computerized, any malfunction in a sensor could cause the car to cut off, show blinking lights on the dash or misfire. Sensor usually has to be replaced and usually will cost at least 150 bucks at a minimum. Hope this helps.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Anyone have a tire-pressure light?

There are two new cars in our family (longish story) and both have had these pressure warning lights come on when the tires seem pretty full to me.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Have you actually checked the pressure? Tires will still look pretty normal even with very low pressures.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes, go check the tires carefully. The sensors are pretty dead on.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Don't buy premium unless your car specifically requires it. And unless you drive a turbo or a very high-performance machine, it doesn't.

Do buy from a name brand. All gas comes from the same place; most of the difference is the level and quantity of additives. Car geeks generally believe Chevron and Shell are the best; the other national brands are all just fine.

There is such a thing as "bad gas." My personal experience is that RaceTrac (found all over the southeast, usually 10 cents a gallon less than everybody else) is the worst. About once a year, a conversation in my house goes something like this:

Wife: "My car's running like shit."
    Me: "Where'd you last get gas?"
    Wife: "RaceTrac."
    Me: (waiting)
    Wife: "I know, you said 'Never buy gas at RaceTrac.' I forgot."

And then she makes me drive her car the rest of the week. :)

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's one thing if the gasoline you put in your car is a little cheaper, but make sure that it's a well-visited station. Seldom-used places can have issues with water in the gasoline due to being in the underground tanks for too long. Try putting water in the gasoline nozzle in your vehicle and tell us how badly it struggles.

As for tires, looks can be deceiving, particularly those with extra-stiff sidewalls. Sometimes the tires can look fine, only to measure 10-15 pounds low when tested with a pressure gauge.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

:D

(Sorry, KG, I just couldn't help myself)

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I just dropped $650 to replace the power-steering rack on my car.

I spent the whole time coming up with things I could have purchased with that $650, I came up with a pretty impressive list.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Jersey gas, which has long been watered down, has made every car I have owned sick. Definitely the worst state to get gas.
    Race-Trac isn't too bad when compared to Jersey gas.

12. KG

KG Active Member

Around here, I only get gas at Quik Trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted