1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car trouble ... any whizzes out there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, May 28, 2007.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Can't take my car into the shop today because of the holiday, but was wondering if anyone knew enough about cars to give me some help.

My driver's side back tire (area) has been making a high-pitched, whistling noise lately. Mostly if I'm driving at higher speeds. It usually starts out low and gets brain numbingly loud after about 15 minutes. It makes the noise when I drive straight, but goes away if I take a turn. After about 30 minutes or so, it usually switches. After maybe 40 minutes, it's gone. Also, when I use my brakes, it gets louder and then goes away as I slow down more/once the brakes are pressed.

Any idea? I don't mean for this to be some kind of riddle, but I'm stumped.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Wheel bearing.

About $100 to fix, max.

I just had mine done.

You can still drive until it's fixed.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sounds right. I would stay off the interstates though.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Paging Kathy Grindle.

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

Thanks a lot for the help! Hopefully the place I take it to won't screw me over. I'm in a new town now and I've been trying to find a decent car shop.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Weird. Sounds like my situation exactly. I just went to the shop up the road from apartment (that way, I could walk home if it was going to be a while). Nice enough guy, did it the next day while I went to the coffee shop and read the out-of-town paper.

Most mechanics are all the same.

7. boots

boots New Member

Check your breaks. If that's not it, check your tires. something isn't right.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

That about clears it up.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

Could be something as simple as having some gravel inside your brake shoes. Had that once. Or it could be your berrings. Doesn't sound major.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It's your wheel bearing. Is the noise cyclical at all? My front wheel bearings were both out and the noise was awful. I felt like I had a brand new car when I got it fixed. They did say that the back ones would go out if the front had.

It should be $100-200 apiece if more than one is out. Be prepared to be told your tires are bald, too. If your bearing is out, it puts a hell of a wear on your tires.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bearing. Could need only a grease repack, or it could need total replacement.

Get it done, not only for your sanity but also because your tires could be cupping every time you use your vehicle (bad bearings can't control camber angles and alignments). And that's a more expensive problem.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah, now that spup brought it up, it sounds very familar...
    Bearing...

Draft saved Draft deleted