1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

car trouble (again)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I don't have the papers with me. They're in the car. I don't think the rate was quite that high, however.
    I also got an extended warranty which cost $1,655, which I'm hoping covers this. I read through it a while ago and I'm not entirely clear on that.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Small, try this: Go to an auto parts store, and ask for the transmission stuff. I can't remember the name of this stuff, but it's green. You pour it in.

I had a mechanic tell me the ex-wife's ride needed a new transmission, how much it would cost, and then he saw my face. It was right around Christmas.

He told me he probably wasn't supposed to tell me about it, but to try it. It may get me another month, may get me six. Well, the car was totaled four months later. (Maybe I didn't use up too much karma there.)

Now, our transmission was slipping. Grinding is something different, if I read your post right. The reason transmissions cost out the ass is because they're a bitch to work on.

Try the green stuff. Just whatever you do, don't change the fluid at this point -- especially if neglecting it caused the problem. IT WILL NOT HELP. (It should be pink-ish, red-ish; if it's black, that means it's burnt.)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

smallp,

If you got an extended warranty, why did you have to pay to get the rack and pinion replaced?

If you do need a new transmission, I would sincerely hope that is covered under your warranty. Are you taking it to the place where you bought the car?

4. Smallpotatoes

Paying for the rack and pinion was my mistake. I didn't realize it was covered until after it was fixed and the conditions of the warranty require you to contact them before work begins.
    I took it to my regular mechanic.

5. Smallpotatoes

I will need a new transmission. The warranty covers "all internally lubricated parts."
    The transmission will cost $1,800. Not sure how much the warranty will help.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

sell it for whatever you can get for it and buy another used car. skip the warranty since you don't use it anyway and don't finance it for four years!!

7. Smallpotatoes

And what do I do about what I still owe on it?

8. beanpole

beanpole Member

That's the rub. You'll still have to pay it off or float the balance that you're upside-down into a new car.

At this point, the new transmission will cost less than what you owe on the car so you're probably stuck with doing the repair. Maybe your mechanic can find a used transmission for you? Or shop here:

http://www.used-auto-transmissions.com/usedtransmissionsales/dodge-neon-2003-store.html

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't ever get a $1,600 extended warranty on a $4,000 used car again.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And then not use it.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Isn't the transmission internally lubricated? It should be covered then right? Of course, a warranty is only as good as the company issuing it. Go after them.

BTW, I would not give up on the rack & pinion claim, whatever their condition was. So you missed their notice period, you still went out of pocket and they were still obligated to fix it. The only claim they can make is they can reduce the amount they owe you by what discount/how much cheaper they say they could have fixed it. Don't just give up pound on them!!! Call your Better Business Bureau.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Something's not right with your numbers. You financed approximately $5,100 for 48 months, and your payment's $192 per month? That corresponds with an interest rate that approaches 33%.

And if you paid $1,600 for a warranty, that should cover a transmission repair.

Draft saved Draft deleted