1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car repair help, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Aug 18, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, $88 is for the diagnostics or whatever. That I'm going to owe regardless. So it's only $50 on top of that for labor.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are a million exceptions I'll hear about right away, but if I'm in an unfamiliar town and having to pick a mechanic through the luck of the draw, I try and find the Michelin place. Those tend to be long-established businesses that cater to repeat customers, and thus are less likely to screw with you and upsell stuff you don't need.

3. imjustagirl

Michelin does repairs? I've only ever seen them as tire places. I just looked on their site and I only see "Michelin tires."

4. dixiehack

Doesn't really have anything to do with Michelin per se, but almost every tire store that carries their tires (in my experience) also does general auto repairs. You aren't going to get a transmission replaced or an engine rebuilt, bur for stuff like faulty starters, alternator replacements, brake work, etc. they should be able to get the job done.

5. imjustagirl

Nice. Well, I'm somewhat crimped in that I couldn't drive around looking, and needed it to be a place that would a.) do the work quickly and b.) come get me when the car is ready so I can get there to get it. No friends that live within 20 miles.

6. dixiehack

It's ok. I speak from experience when I say that driving a GM product means you'll get another chance to apply this knowledge within the next six months.

7. imjustagirl

Just talked to the (very nice) woman at the shop. It's a remanufactured AC Delco part. NAPA's (for $100 less) is their store brand, and PepBoys doesn't use AC Delco. She said they're very picky about their parts because they offer a one-year warranty on them, so if it fails, I don't have to pay labor to have a new one put in.

She's going to see what cheaper options there are without the warranty. I'm 99 percent sure I'll go cheapest, just because within a year I should be solvent and could then handle (easier) any repairs such as this.

Does that make sense at all?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No. RickStain still wants to know why you don't have a savings. He said he's going to call someone up at the local McDonald's and see if they can't get you working the fryer on third shift. But you have to take a picture in front of the mirror and sent it to BYH.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I see IJAG paying her dues at Hardees before she ever sets foot in a McDonalds.

10. imjustagirl

Four years at Little Caesars through college, doing everything from mopping and sweeping to oven to delivery to assistant manager. Bitches.

Take that weak Hardees shit elsewhere.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pizza fucking pizza.

What else can a guy get for $5 around here?

Draft saved Draft deleted