1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car maintenance question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.cartalk.com/content/googleresults.html?cx=partner-pub-7133054861616181%3Ahi3ycasbap0&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=alignment#1217

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. T. Petty

T. Petty New Member

you should have your tires balanced first. if your steering wheel is shaking, it's most likely that.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Turns out I need four new tires before they'll even do the alignment. Still have the original tires on my car six years, 68,000 miles later, so I guess it was about due. Just going to have to deal with the alignment for a while until I get the new tires, I guess. FML.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would see if you can get the alignment thrown in for buying the tires there.

5. bigpern23

They wanted $600 plus tax. No way.

I'll probably check out a few junkyards and see if I can get some good tires, if not, I'll hit one of the area stores that runs a buy three tires, get the fourth free promotion.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Back when I was young and a sportswriter, I recalling dreaming of the day that getting new car tires wouldn't cause a financial crisis. And now that I'm not young (and not a sportswriter), needing new tires doesn't cause a financial crisis. On the other hand, I have a head full of white hair and my back hurts all the time.

In my neck of the woods you can get good deals on used tires at predominantly Mexican neighborhoods/locations. We're not talking new, or even close to it, but you can get a serviceable set that'll last about a year for approx. $100.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

At the end of 2009, we got Fuzion tires (an offshoot of Bridgestone) put on our Malibu for about $300, alignment included. I believe our 'Bu runs on 205/16 wheels. We went to a local tire place where a friend works. Other places were charging $400+ for brands I've never heard of, no alignment included. We've had no problems with the tires.
    I would say call around for prices and also see who friends/family/co-workers recommend. And yes, it's time for new tires if you have 68K on the originals.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Buy three Firestone Firehawk tires and get the fourth free ... offer good for a couple more days:

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tire_promotion/show_tire_promotion.jsp?id=10000380

And considering looking into the alignment in the process ... no point in ruining another set of tires because of misaligned wheels, too much positive/negative camber issue or excessive toe-in or maybe even toe-out.

9. bigpern23

Yeah, once I get the new set, I'm going to get the alignment done immediately. Don't want to wear down a new set right away. Thanks for the link.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

do you ever rotate your tires? that'll keep life in them.

Draft saved Draft deleted