1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car insurance scheme - has anyone heard about this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

OK, let's say she doesn't die. Let's say she is seriously injured, requiring multiple operations and months of hospitalization and specialized care.

In your "I'm-too-cool-for-insurance" world, who pays for this? You sure as hell can't. Should taxpayers foot the bill? Is the girl just shit out of luck? Please explain.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure insurance wasn't invented to handle $20 fender benders.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Schzienainc continues to prove he is a foof of the highest order.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If that happens, then I'm the idiot who should have had insurance.

Until then, however, I refuse to acknowledge the benefits of paying $240 a month JUST IN CASE something bad happens.

It's like staying in the house on the off chance you might get murdered in the subway. It doesn't make sense.

Again, I'm not saying I'm uninsured. I have to pay every month like everyone else. My hatred, while completely illogical and immature, is pretty much just a way to vent at a system I feel is fucking retarded.

But, then again, maybe I'm not a big fan of being required by law to pay my money into a system that has no problem descriminating against me because of my age and sex.

Oh, and sportschick, I love you too.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

$240 a month?

Criminy, I wasn't paying that nearly that much when I was 25 and driving a brand new Toyota Supra.

At 47 and driving an 18-year-old Lexus, I pay about $46 per month. And it will go down even more (I hope) when I'm married.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Biggest joke in these parts a couple years back was when the state passed a mandatory car insurance law. The insurance industry claimed they weren't happy with it because they'd be taking on more risk. These are the same assholes who tried to weasel out of paying Katrina claims (the wind vs. water debate) and bailed, en masse, on the state's home owner's insurance market when they lost the lawsuits.
    Common sense has no place in the insurance world. There was no more or less risk of a hurricane hitting on Aug. 30, 2005, than there was on Aug. 28, 2005, yet in their fucked-up world view another one was sure to hit the next week. Get one ticket in 10 years? By god, you need to pay us a $3,000 fine for the next three years because you're sure to get another one. Fuck insurance companies. I hope there's a nice, extra hot corner of hell reserved for them.
    When I got a ticket and my rates went up to $170 a month on the heap I was driving, I used to write "for legalized extortion" on the check's memo line every month. It was a little therapeutic, at least.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand why you're not required to have health insurance but you are required to have auto insurance even in no-fault states.

So if that guy you hit can't get money from you or your insurer, why force you to have insurance?

(Not saying it's smart to go without it, though)

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For many people, health insurance is just not affordable.

A cheap, high-mileage car almost anyone can afford to insure.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your first thought when you accidentally kill someone is, "How can I make this go away"?

I'd suggest that might be the reason 23-year-olds pay more in insurance, but I know too many other 23-year-olds who weren't born without a conscience.

Fuck insurance. The only insurance I carry is a tarp and a shovel in my trunk. [/Schzienainc]

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A person is responsible for their own health. But in a car accident, depending on whose fault it is, the offending driver is not only responsible for his own health, but the person who he hit.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

You misread, Ragu. Notice the contraction in the bolded text.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I did. I'm sorry for jumping down your throat schiezainc. I owe you a big apology and here it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted