1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car insurance scheme - has anyone heard about this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Our local TV news reported it; I barely heard it and it was on to something else - haven't found it on their website. But it went like this: While car insurance rates should be expected to go down with less cars on the road due to energy conservation and less fuel being burned up, the insurance industry was going to raise rates if one carpooled, saying that carrying multiple people posed an extra risk.

If this is true, then holy shit. If they can't screw you one way, they'll screw you another.

If you've seen a thread on this, post it.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

It's insurance, it's all a fucking scam

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Haven't heard it but it doesn't surprise me one bit. They ask you how far you live from work and everything else. A friend of my got run off the road into some trees by a drunk (who was charged and arrested) and the drunk's insurance tried every way in the world not to pay. "Well, he didn't actually hit you. You chose to swerve."

Chose to swerve? You've got to be kidding.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the water restrictions Florida has been under for much of the past year.

Now that people are being forced to use less water, the cities are not getting as much revenue as they are accustomed to.

So they are raising the rates to help make up the shortfall.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So, how's the insurance company know if you ride to work with some co-workers? For 20 years my insurance company has thought I worked at home.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Fuck insurance.

The only reason I carry it is because I am financing a car. That's it. That's all.

I went two years without it when I first got my license and only once got into any kind of accident. I bumped a guy in front of me that stopped short in a drive-thru, got out, checked his bumper. There was no damage, I handed him a $20, we were good.

That's the way it should be.

Car insurance is a joke and I dare anyone who tells me different to explain why I have to pay more than my girlfriend does when A.) I've never been in an accident and B.) She's been in four. I'm 23, she's 25 and apparently those two years are the difference between paying $109 a month and $240.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Maybe your insurer knows you personally.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you ran into a guy and his 3-year-old daughter died, what would you do? Hand the guy a $50?

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If I ran into a guy and his three-year old daughter died, my first thought wouldn't be "How can I make this go away?"

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This happened to a friend. She moved from a metropolian area (lots of traffic) to a suburban area (fewer cars) and was counting on her insurance going down. It goes up. She calls to ask why and is told that since there is a prison on her smaller town, there is more risk of auto theft, therefore higher rates. She points out that in order for an escaped prisoner to steal her car, he would have to elude the guards, cross a freeway, walk two miles uphill into a rural area (passing hundreds of cars on the way) and steal her car out of a locked garage.
    Sorry, thems are the rules.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Hey Schiez, what are you going to do when you get stopped by the cops, show him a 20 in your wallet as your proof of insurance?

Around here, and my guess in most states, insurance is required by law.

I hate insurance companies and would like to see claims people get a real bad case of the crabs, but don't think that defense would hold up in court.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, you have had an accident. It was the bump at the drive through. I know people who have been in serious pain from a slight fender-tapper because they weren't able to brace their bodies for the bump.

The payments are a joke, I agree. What drives me nuts is that someone I know got hurt in an accident. It was clearly the other guys fault. My friend had injuries, which the medical was paid through no-fault. But when my friend had sued for other damages (lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.), the company took two years before settling. I understand that they want to collect the interest on the money they eventually paide out for the two years, but it's almost seems like a waste of the court system when you know that both sides were going to settle.

Draft saved Draft deleted