1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car Insurance Recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 24, 2008.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

USAA
    If you qualify, it is amazing. I get money back every year because the insurance arm is not-for-profit. Sometimes I get $80-90. One time I got like $250.

Had a fender bender three years ago, they insisted on OEM (original manufacturer's equipment) new parts. they insisted, not me. I know a little bit about cars and they recommended the high-end Buick dealer to do the work. Recommended, did not say "use them or we won't pay." Work was phenomenal, rates did not go up.

Best thing is when you get accosted for insurance, particularly via phone. You just say, "I have USAA," and they say thanks and then hang up.

Just insured a motorcycle. Did a little comparo. USAA refused to insure motorcycles for years and only new is licensing Progressive to do it for them. Called up Progressive, got a quote for full coverage at a $500 deductible for one year at $487. This is on a bike that is worth about $1,500. OK, go to the USAA Web-site, call the number there that redirects to the Progerssive/USAA only agents. Get a $250 deductible full policy for $127 a year. On the bike I'm about to buy (new and $8,000) I was quotes $321 a year.

If you can qualify, you are a complete idiot not to use USAA.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=become_member_main

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If USAA only allowed former military members who cashed out after Vietnam instead of requiring "retirees" I'd be in.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I need to look into that. I'm betting my dad was a USAA member.

4. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

I continue with AIG- they did ok covering my hurricane swamped total. Only reason I hate GEICO is the incessant mind-bending blanket of commercials over the last two years; forget the lizard or the accent, they make me want to go deaf to get some sweet commercial silence. All insurance is a ripoff starting with auto (where do you think the insufferable blanket Geico advertising money comes from?) and continuing into health and house. I have had St Farm, Allstate, Natiowide and others and they are all the same (why wouldn't they be?). Bring back No-Fault auto insurance..opps no freaking way in our corporate predator sheep society.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.

Finally caved in and went with State Farm today. It was a little higher than I expected, but still lower than any other place I looked.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm just curious to hear from the GEICO folks about whether they
    reeled you in with a relatively-low rate early, then tried to ram you.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup.. in fact, upped my membership a couple years ago to AAA Gold to get the 100 miles towing. Got burned on assignment once when my Alternator crapped out and I had the car towed home at $2 a mile... 46 bucks later...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my AAA coverage basically is free by the time you figure in what i save homeowners and auto insurance policies.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nope. In fact, they dropped my rate a couple months ago. It went up when I moved to a new state last month, but still at least $70 cheaper a month than anyplace else I looked.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have GEICO and have enjoyed lower rates and pretty nice service for 12 years.

As a lawyer, remember, its not all about price, an insurance policy does nothing for you if it gives you great rates and then goes belly up when you are facing a claim. Likewise, get as much insurance as you can afford in light of the amount of assets you have. Getting the minimum required is not going to serve you very well if you have to defend against a sizable claim.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Especially true in cases of auto liability.

Draft saved Draft deleted