1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car Insurance Recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I only owned the home for a year and nothing happened, so I can't say about that. I do like their car insurance.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Seeing those $60, $70 and $80 a month figures make me weep. I have the crappiest car on earth. I barely use the thing. It's a 1993 Honda that is a rolling giant dent, because the engine will survive a nuclear holocaust even if everything else on the car is falling apart. It's a city mobile. It is old and NOT in the antique way. I am assuming those other premiums are for newer, NICE, well-kept cars.I have the lowest coverage amounts I could possibly get. And because of where I live, my premiums are $130 a month.

For what it's worth, Geico was the cheapest here.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was paying $70 per month to drive a Chevy Lumina '95 last year. The girlfriend and I share insurance now and we pay $135, plus get rental insurance.

KY - if all you care about is getting collision insurance and want to go the cheap way, just go to Geico. If you want full coverage then I'd suggest someone like State Farm.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I saw it mentioned earlier, but USAA is the bomb. If you qualify for it, go for it. They deal with the military, so if you move around a lot, they're good about that. You get higher coverages for the same rate as lower coverages with other companies, roadside assistance, towing/rental coverage all that.

Of course, you have to be eligible to receive it. Meaning someone in your family had to have served in the military, among other things. If you're interested, I can send you something to see if you qualify.

I also bank with them and they're awesome with that, too. And they have the top-ranked customer service in the business.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I have an 06 Cobalt, so I figure I'll have to get full coverage.

And with Progressive, I never got any other quotes from them. It wasn't an option when I filled out my information online.

Also looking for a not-too-high down payment. I forget what Progressive wanted, but it was an amount that would put me behind on my other bills.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Sorry, Ragu, but I drive an 11-year-old Pontiac Sunfire that was attacked by a kamikaze deer. It is probably in worse shape than your car. I'm not sure how hte whole insurance rate thing work. I'd love to know.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No kamikaze deer here. Just people who break your windows or rip off your side view mirrors or plow into you while you were parked and drive away. The broken windows are what get me the most. It's happened three times. There will be recent year Mercedes, Audi or BMW parked right near my car and MINE is the one that someone decides to break into. It makes no sense.

This is why I refuse to get a better car. I don't have a huge need for one, and could even get by just renting cars. This is a good compromise. I don't have to sweat at night worrying what happens to it.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

[​IMG]

SURPRISE!

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Erin Esurance is right up in the Jessica Rabbit level as far as cartoons go. But the blonde who praises a good Progressive rate by saying, "That's a pair of new shoes." ... now, she's hot.

And that's all I got.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I recognized her from being on something else, but can't remember what. Her voice is the memorable part, probably some sitcom.
    By the way, I have always been happy with AAA and when you see commercials for other companies comparing their rates, they never include AAA in their comparisons.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Someone on another thread said she was a Seinfeld girlfriend. No idea if it is true. But something about her mouth ... mmmmmmmmmm.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm with this guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted