1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car Insurance Recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 24, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Shopping around for car insurance because my rates with KY Farm Bureau are too high for me to keep making without me breaking the bank and getting behind each month.

I've checked Progressive, State Farm and others. Anyone care to share experiences, tell me who to avoid, etc.?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Didn't Progressive check like 8 others for you?

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

geico is pretty good

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly. When I was a single law-breaker, Progressive was the cheapest for me. Now that I'm married to a woman with a spotless driving record, State Farm is the place to be.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have Geico. Mine's like $79 a month.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have State Farm. Mine runs around $60 a month (including renter's insurance). Mind you, I'm a 30+ woman who hasn't had an accident (other than being attacked by the Target cart guy in the parking lot) since I was 19 and I drive a complete POS.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have USAA, but both accidents I've ever been involved in involved State Farm customers and they paid me very well.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

On the other side of that coin, I am a scofflaw (no accidents, but more tickets than I care to admit) with a newer leased car and a motorcycle. I have Progressive, and it has treated me very well.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've had State Farm for years and can't say enough good things about them. They forgive your first accident if you've had a clean driving record the prior five years. If an accident isn't your fault and they can't collect from the other company because it was a hit and run, they won't raise your rates. They're quick with getting the claims adjuster out so the repairs can be started quickly, they payout well (repairs and if the car is totalled). You can report a claim 24 hours a day as well.

Could my wife & I get a cheaper rate from another company? Probably. Would we consider switching? No. The level of customer service we've gotten from State Farm when we've needed it makes it worth keeping.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Except for about a six month hiatus (which I regret), I've been with State Farm since I've been driving. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Geico's been great for me. Don't know how good they are for you if you have an accident, since I haven't experienced that, but everything else has been good (and cheap).

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This pretty much sums up my experience. I've been with State Farm since I was 16 and can't see myself ever switching.

Draft saved Draft deleted