1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

car insurance appraiser question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Wife hit a patch of ice in her car today and slid into the side of a curb, damaging the alignment of her car pretty badly. The national chain she took it to said they didn't have the parts to fix it -- she'd have to go to the dealership -- and it was probably going to be upwards of $500 or more. So she called our insurance company and they're sending an appraiser to look at the car before we go getting it fixed.

My question: What is the appraiser going to do, because there is no visible damage? He can't take the car apart himself. So what can he possibly base his estimate on?

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

He is going to screw you, because that is what insurance companies do.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Do you have an estimate or something from the national chain as to what was damaged?

I'd show that to the appraiser.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

WFW

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The appraiser should be able to analyze things beyond the superficial.

Having said that, unless the power steering rack was damaged - or both wheels and tires - I dunno how much good getting an appraiser will do.

If it's little more than bent tie-rods and/or a broken tie-rod end, I don't know if I would involve an appraiser. It might not be worth the increased premiums unless your insurance has a low, low deductible, say less than $250.

Draft saved Draft deleted