1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car insurance advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, Apr 20, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The last time this topic came up, AAA edged into the lead and held off the other contenders.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Have had good luck with Progressive on rates -- neither my wife's driving record nor mine is squeaky clean -- and claims.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Driving record is a big part of it. Some of the biggies like State Farm won't touch you if you have a couple points and are young.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm with Nationwide and can't complain. Not sure how the rates stack up to others (roughly $100 a month with a long commute in a rural state, and a $100 deductible), but there's so many variables that go into that anyway that I'm sure it varies a lot.
    But the times I've had to file a claim I haven't had any problems. Got a crack in the windshield last Friday, called to file a claim at 2:30 p.m. and it was replaced by 4:30. Another time I hit an animal on the interstate and had to get a new radiator and the heads on the engine redone. The damage was close to $2,000. No police report or anything, and never met with the adjuster. They took care of it. All I had to do was write a check for the deductible.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

If you can qualify for it USAA. Hands down the best in customer service response times and probably prices. Any claim that I have had with them is paid promptly with little to no hassle. In addition there are numerous side benefits including discounts on car rentals among that that are stupendous. If you're interested in finding out about it I can send you a link!

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm in New Jersey - the nation's leader in high car insurance - and although it might not be the cheapest, I swear by State Farm. Never had a problem with a claim and I've had to make several.

However if there was a way I could switch to New Jersey Manufacturer's I would do it in a heartbeat. However I don't work for one of the companies you have to be an employee of to qualify for their insurance.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good to hear that State Farm isn't as awful as it is in my corner of the world.

The quote I got from them made me out to be a 17-year-old who had already totaled four Ferraris. Absolutely insane.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same here. Totally price driven and Geico is the cheapest (a relative term) in my ridiculous rate hell of a neighborhood.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've had State Farm for about 7 years and have no complaints. I've never had to file a claim, though. I used to be with Geico and I was happy with them (they were great when I had a claim), but I had other insurance with State Farm and was able to get reduced premiums with the multiple types of insurance.

10. I shopped around when I had to get a new car last summer and came off my parents' plan (cause my step-dad was my co-signer on that car). Just about everyone I checked was $130 to $150 a month, but Nationwide offered the same coverage and I'm paying $84 a month for it. I've never made a claim of any kind in 12 years of driving, so don't know how their service is.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Insurance rates are much higher here than my last place of residence, so I switched to Geico recently. Shaved nearly 50 percent off my old State Farm premium.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

New Jersey Manufacturers is absolutely the best. But you can only get it through your company (and only in NJ) and it is still somewhat restrictive in who will be accepted.

Draft saved Draft deleted