1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car insurance advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, Apr 20, 2010.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

So I'm shopping around for some and I figured I'd ask the fine ladies and gentlemen of SportsJournalists.com what they think.

Price, obviously, is a big factor, but not the only one. Customer service, claim service, reliability and all that good stuff are important, too. What companies have you had good/bad experiences with and on the same level who do you recommend to look at or stay away from? Thanks.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It obviously comes down to whom you trust most: the gecko, Erin Esurance, Dennis Haysbert or the pathologically cheerful Progressive gal

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ohhhh. Flo. I dig that chick for some odd reason. Anyway...

I have State Farm, I believe. No complaints.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Erin Esurance is hot but kind of fakey.

I had good experiences with Allstate in the day. Bad experiences with State Farm on homeowners.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I swear by Geico. Friendly service, and it has dropped my rater through the floor with each year I have not had an accident or ticket

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Progressive.

Very reasonable prices, and unbeatable when factoring in hassle-free service and when I had some hail damage, the claims adjuster came out, checked out my vehicle and cut a check. No barking, no haggling and no problems.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

A friend cited Erin Esurance's green eyes as one of the factors that made him sign on with them. Had Esurance before. Very good customer service. Got hit in a parking lot and no note. The car was fixed with a week or 2.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I sat down to try to figure it out, one day.

I figure that a duck could probably eat a gecko, and a dog could probably eat a duck. But, keeping in mind that Snoopy is just a cartoon, and made of paper, that might be good.

For a duck to poop on!

So, I just gave up and went with State Farm. That's what our extended family always seems to have done. Perhaps not the rock-bottom cheapest, but they've never given us trouble on a claim.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like AAA; some states it's cheaper, some it isn't. Have never complained about the service.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I just went through this when I bought a used car after not owning one for a couple of years. I wound up going with State Farm, my old carrier.

I bought the car my sister's city, and I had no problems getting the SF policy online and being able to drive the car back legally. Once home, I met with the agent and they found another discount I could get, so it turned out even lower.

I was astounded at how high the Progressive, Geico and Esurance rates were. The same policy was so much cheaper at SF I thought I had to have hit the wrong buttons for the others, but I didn't. They were much more expensie in my state.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Discounts in my state for having my car insurance funds taken from my credit union directly. Something like 12 percent.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted