1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car flooded

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If it's totaled just make sure you do your own research and that they are giving you full replacement value for the car.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I have AAA insurance, which I consider to be the best.
    I totaled my 1978 Camaro in 1988. Got what I thought was a fair compensation for it. The only bad part was a "three-year accident surcharge" they had at that time. It basically added something like $260 a year to my premium for three years. A little more than a year ago, my daughter crashed her 2003 VW Beetle. The payoff was more than I figured based on the Kelley Blue Book comparisons I looked up. I was waiting for the "three-year accident surcharge" and it never came.
    I have no complaints with AAA.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Basically, go to KBB, NADA and Edmunds, and get the average price. That's what you should expect. Don't settle for less.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Calling my agent tomorrow to get her over here to look at it and get it to a mechanic ASAP. I'm going/going to go insane without a car for a while. No public transportation to where I work is the problem. Everything else I can ride my road bike to. Hell, maybe I'll just ride my bike there.. ugh.

This is probably going to be a dragged out process and last about two weeks if I'm lucky ?

Here's a pic of what I came out to: The black one

Yes, I realize if you really want to you can get to my twitter account. Not that I was trying for that.

5. Madhavok

Update - car is hopefully going to be looked over tomorrow. I think I'd rather have my car be classified as totalled and get something else because like everyone has said - a flooded car is never the same, but we'll see how this goes.

Started up again this morning with no issues.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No, I got it. Actually thought it was quite funny.

7. Madhavok

I drove it down to the mechanic - granted it was only a mile and a half, but still.

8. Madhavok

Estimate coming tomorrow, but from the sounds of it, it's going to be totalled.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Right. That was the "Playing it too seriously" part. I assumed you got it.

10. Madhavok

I hope it stays this way - there is some heavy wear and tear damage the body shop/mechanic is factoring in. Not sure if my agent is going to agree with it. Ugh

11. Madhavok

Car is officially totalled. KBB/NADA value for my car in 'fair' condition is 4K. I'm expecting around 3K if I'm lucky. I have also found out I was left with 2K from a relative and I also have about 3K saved from the start of summer.

I don't want a car payment and I certainly don't want to spend all of this as I'd like to save some of my tip money from the summer.

I've been looking at some older Subarus (1998-2005) and I think I found one going for 3,200. No rust, new tires, stored (selling because of a divorce..), factory rebuilt motor with warranty. It's the Legacy LTD model - heated/power seats, 5spd - every option minus sunroof.

Or I could go up and spend around 5-7K and find something newer but with high miles. The Subaru has 40K on the new engine

Or use it all for a down payment on a new car..But I'd really like to avoid another car loan.

Bah!

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The used car market is so depressed right now, it's going to hard to find a deal.

Again, don't settle with insurance unless it's what the book value is. Go to clarkhoward.com. He talks about how to handle this.

Also, I have some carfax reports that I never ran (3 I think). If you want me to run a VIN for you, PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted