1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car dealers are not liking Tesla

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 12, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

New Jersey joins Arizona and Texas in banning direct sales to consumers, which Tesla does instead of the dealership model. Seems odd for free marketeers to stifle a business in such a way, but the move did get huge support from a group of concerned citizens known as the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/11/new-jersey-becomes-third-state-to-ban-teslas-direct-sales-model/

Hey, those guys have a billion gallons of all-weather seal to offload!

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Free market!!!!

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter. Love's going to find its way back to them. I know.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Crushed. Well done...

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Doot-doot'n-doo!

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Beej puts his bat back on the rack....he won't see a pitch that good to hit.....

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As a NorCal native who watched Tesla open every major concert I saw in high school, I was thinking of the appropriate response and then I scrolled to Big Circus' comment and I had to stand and applaud...

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This stuff is so bush. They just want to sell cars. States shouldn't be inhibiting their ability to do it.

The arguments the car dealership lobbyists have used don't even make sense. It is supposedly about protecting consumers somehow -- how does a direct sales model hurt anyone and how? By saving people money? By mandating a middleman, you drive up the cost for consumers.

This is really just about money changing hands. I saw something yesterday that detailed how much money the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers and its employees had given in campaign contributions over the last few years. They effectively bought a continuing system that benefits them at the expense of consumers.

This isn't fair to Tesla. The flip side, I'd point out though, is that Tesla has been the beneficiary of OTHER state governmental schemes that fuck up market equalibriums -- the same way it is now getting fucked over. It has made millions of dollars, for example, selling California emissions credits that it gets to carmakers that don't make electric or hybrid cars and need the credits to operate in California.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Guess that's the way it is, the way that goes.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

With Tesla's purchase prices being what they are -- in the $70k range -- their sales model is really the only one that makes sense if they want to mass market their cars. There's all kind of tax incentives and cost of ownership advantages post-purchase, but you have to get past the sticker price to even think about those. Adding a middle man, as you point out, makes that even more difficult.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Intended consequences!

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Or the self-serve gas pumps.

Draft saved Draft deleted