1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car Buying Research Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'm a Toyota guy, but we bought a Chrysler minivan because it was $8K cheaper than a Sienna. I figured I'd save all the money on the front end, because I won't have $8K in repairs.

But here's what I'm wondering now. I got 200,000 out of my last Toyota before I wrecked it, and my current one is at 100,000 and other than a leaky water pump, I haven't fixed a thing.

Will this Chrysler give us 200,000 miles? Given the stuff I've had to get fixed in the first 30,000 miles, I'm not convinced.

2. lono

lono Active Member

And then there's resale value, too:

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/top-10-lists/Top-9-Minivans-With-the-Best-Residual-Value-for-2003.html

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have bet $8K on it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A basic 2WD Patriot has an invoice figure of $19,120 (not counting regional pricing differences which could add $200-$300 depending on your state) before rebates. If you can't find a solid late-model used import for that kind of money, you simply are not trying hard enough.

If you are determined to go new and have a 6 cyl., there is technology out there now that will let the vehicle run on however many cylanders are needed in order to save gas. It might use all six for that quick burst when merging onto the interstate, then drop down to 3 once you reach cruising speed.

And this should go without saying, but go to your local bank or (preferably) credit union and get pre-approved for your loan before entering the dealership.

5. I agree on the credit union.

Credit unions = lower interest rates.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

And if you've pre-shopped your credit union (and if you're a good poker player, even if you haven't) you can often use the credit union rate as leverage for an even better rate from the dealer.

Draft saved Draft deleted