1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car Buying Research Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I test drove one. Loved it. I am skeptical about it though with it being a North American company and all.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

A few points:
    -Your best bet is almost always a used vehicle that's two or three years old. That way the vehicle has already taken its big depreciation hit, and it's still relatively new.
    -A CR-V should be plenty big, and gets pretty good mileage. Minivans are also a good call for what you need.
    -I'll echo the recommendations for edmunds.com and Consumer Reports. Edmunds has a feature for calculating true cost of ownership, which is very useful. For one thing, you'll typically find that the extra upfront cost for a Honda, Toyota, etc., compared with a Big Three vehicle is more than made up for in improved resale value.
    -I wouldn't buy anything made by Chrysler right now. Not only are they making some incredibly crappy vehicles, even by Chrysler standards, the future of the company is way too up in the air.
    -Don't rule out Mazdas. Yes, Ford has a controlling interest in the company, but Ford uses more Mazda stuff than vice versa; Mazdas are typically not rebadged Fords. We've had two Mazdas that have been incredibly dependable.
    -Which leads me to another vehicle to consider that might be off your radar -- a used Mazda6 hatchback or wagon. My wife has the hatchback. They're deceptively roomy (we have 3-year-old nephews we watch quite a bit, and them and their stuff fits easily) and get good mileage -- we average about 26 mpg overall, and that's with the V6.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

3. Pete Incaviglia

A question for any gearhead who wants to answer:

Is a 2.4L 172 hp engine too small for my needs considering the following:

1) We're a family of three, and hopefully four by mid-2009.
    2) I'm 320 pounds, but my wife is small (5'4" and I'm not sure of her weight, but she's a fitness freak, so smallish)
    3) We travel three hours to see one set of inlaws each month, and we like to travel period, so we're hauling luggage, a stroller, maybe some toys.

I ask because I think I should have at least a 3.5L engine, but the 2.4L engines so very much better on gas.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Once you're up to speed, the size of the engine won't make much of a difference. It's getting up to speed that's the issue. Also, do your travels involve interstates or two-lane highways? I'm thinking the smaller engine would make passing situations, um, interesting.

I'd go for a test drive in both vehicles you're considering and load 'em up.

5. Pete Incaviglia

All interstate, all the time. Only two-lane roads we'll encounter are in town(s).

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Are you ascending mountains and/or steep hills?

I would tend to think that engine isn't enough, but that's probably both bias and a snobby viewpoint.

7. Pete Incaviglia

No. Flatlands. A lot of flat land.

I'm leaning to the bigger engine, too. And I don't think it's snobby. I just have to consider all factors, especially price and fuel consumption.

8. Sam Mills 51

That HP number MIGHT be enough. Might.

I understand wanting weight savings, fuel consumption and overall price. But to give you an idea, my machine has 200 HP, has a curb weight of under 3,000 lbs. and usually has only my fat butt in it. So when I hear 25-30 fewer horses and at least 1,000 lbs. more weight, I worry that a small engine can continuous handle the load without at least some trouble.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Hey Sam, should I be more concerned about payload capacity or curb weight? Towing I couldn't give a shit about. I have nothing to tow.

10. Sam Mills 51

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/shopping/pickup-truck-guide/payload/capacity

Curb weight. Unless you're planning on carrying horse trailers, campers and such, payload capacity shouldn't factor in the discussion.

On top of that, a heavy curb weight won't help your mileage. My stepfather's brother once was bragging about how his heavy car held the road better. Bull. A vehicle with much less weight isn't as sluggish and such, and until they start building vehicles that you and I can lift a corner off the ground, they're not too light. Besides, who wants to deal with wrestling all that unsprung weight?

11. Pete Incaviglia

Full disclosure: I'm looking at a Jeep Patriot. It's got enough room (for people and luggage). It's very good on gas for its class. It's not a minivan. And, it's a Jeep, the most reliable brand of Chrysler (if there is such a thing).

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I apologize. I skimmed the thread so I might have missed key details, but if you're looking for a car that gives you both fuel efficiency and safety for your children, look at Toyota. My parents have had a 2002 Toyota Camry and it's been very fuel efficient and a very safe vehicle. I imagine it'd provide a safe, comfortable ride for both you, your wife and your children.

Draft saved Draft deleted