1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 19, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Remember when we didn't discuss mini-vans? Sigh ... :'(

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

Unless you're looking for a Prius or other compact hybrid. They can't keep them in stock right now.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Ditch the Cirrus. And sell it privately; don't trade it. They'll offer you about five bucks in trade, and while you're not going to get rich selling it on your own, you should at least get something.

As for the minivan, get an Odyssey, either new or gently used.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Love the Odyssey.. crappy gas mileage though.. otherwise, terrific car

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Whichever car you decide to give up, sell it yourself. It's a bit of a hassle, but you get so much more for it, it's worth it. In 2005, I sold my 1994 Mustang convertible for $2,500 when the dealer was offering me $1,000 on the trade. That extra $1,500 was quite handy (I also had aftermarket wheels that I took off the car and sold separately for $800, so I made a nice little chunk of change off the car).

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sell it yourself and walk over to CarMax if they are in your area.

The Consumer Reports is gold.

Buy a Honda, Toyota or a Nissan if you can swing it.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

After long thought all night and this morning, I'm keeping the Cavalier.

It's cheaper on gas and has LOTS of life left (at one stop, my wife worked across the street from our apartment, so it's in very, very good shape). I can use it for work, to save gas seeing as I need a car to do my job. And, if that's all I'm using it for, I can survive.

I'm going to ditch the Cirrus, but not until I get my money's worth out of its new tires (bought in November) and new used transmission ($1,200 in February). I hope it lasts through the winter.

I figure it's better to have two reliable cars than one great one, which we'd be paying on, and one shitty one that can go at a moment's notice.

I was going to get a new minivan this month, before we take a vacation in June. But, I figure we have zero payments on either car at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

I figure September this year, as is the case every year, will be ripe with tons of lots looking to move cars cheap — given the economy and all.

And if not, I'll wait through the winter and buy used (a two or three year old minivan) in the late winter/early spring.

I haven't said it yet but I fucking HATE buying cars.

And I haven't said this yet either: Thanks to all.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Go ahead and start making a monthly car "payment" into a savings/money market account now. When the Chrysler goes tits up, you'll have enough for a sweet down payment or maybe even to pay cash if you're lucky.

9. Pete Incaviglia

You sound like my dad. I distinctly remember him saying the day after my car was paid off "Keep making that payment every month — into a savings account."

I didn't. I'm an idiot.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Inky, one word of advice about selling your car. The price is going to be dictated more by what the buyers think the worth is than what you value it. Well unless you are willing to keep it. I've sold four used cars to private parties in the past 10 years and if you want to sell quickly, you have to accept that your view of the car's value is usually not market reality. Use the Consumer Reports valuation, the Kelley Blue Book valuation, the sale prices of similar cars in your area, then realize that you are shooting for something less and you'll sell it. You must be willing to be flexible and ready to drop the price. If you do not get any bites on your initial price, drop it. Good luck.

11. Pete Incaviglia

qtlaw, that's why I'm going to hang onto it until I run into the ground. Then, it's worth nothing. I just want my money out of the repairs at this point. Then, anything after that (i.e. sold privately, traded in) is a bonus.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Just be sure that you're not spending $400 on CV joints or something to back up your $1,200 tranny investment. It's a good idea to go without car payments, but not if you're constantly spending that much to keep the old heap running.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted