1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Dec 5, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, your mom had the diesel. Should've said that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No. 2.8 V6 gas.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2004, right? Bad break. Only gas Jetta/Dasher to use that type of filter. I think there's a converter kit available.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It might've been a '04. I thought it was an 05 or 06, though.

5. gretchd

gretchd Member

I have an '04 Camry that I love (and which I'll be paying off next week -- woot!). It's a great car, and I'll be sad to see it go when I move from here to a city with good public transportation in the next year.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Avoid Jiffy Lube. My last visit there some years ago - with basically a gun to my head - was a bad experience and not to be repeated.

Given a hoist and an oil pan to catch the old fluid, I can do better than those folks.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

Fuckabuncha Jiffy Lube and similar places. I think they really have based their business model on tricking their customers into buying unnecessary add-ons.

8. Sam Mills 51

Precisely.

I stayed to watch these people "work." (Yes, I know that's paranoia ... I don't have children and such ... I kinda need my car, y'know?) The manager walked out to me with the air filter to my vehicle in hand. He said "this is dirty. You might want to think about replacing it. I don't have a replacement."

First off, fella, the paper in those filters can now take a short blast from an air compressor and usually not be affected. Second, it did have some dirt, but was far from clogged or in need of replacement. Third, you just told me you don't have a replacement, so why do you have mine in your hand instead of where it belongs in my vehicle.

He then further washed glory upon himself by trying to offer the ol' $59.99 fuel injection flush. Sir, can you tell me what that does that a small container of $3 fuel-injection cleaner poured into my next full tank of high-test won't do? Yeah .. same effect.

To cap it all off, the tire pressure in each corner of my vehicle was different.

Scare any of you enough? Good.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I love how they bring out the air filter like a cat depositing a dead mouse by your feet for approval. I usually take the filter out of their hands, bang it twice on the floor to dislodge any big chunks of dirt, hand it back to them and kindly ask them to reinstall it in my car.

10. Sam Mills 51

As badly as I wanted to do that, they still had my car at that time. That's too much collateral for me to overcome.

But that did make me laugh, OTD. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted