1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Dec 5, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Pete. I'll take a better look at the Honda Fit. I have seen them, didn't know much about them. I am partial to Hondas.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've been doing some thinking since I first posted, and I want to give you something else to chew on. It seems like gas mileage is important, but not the top priority, since I'm guessing you're under 10,000 miles a year. Cheap insurance, anti-theft and ability to take hits might be a higher priority.

If that's the case, you might want to think of a Taurus, Impala or Pontiac coming off lease. I'm not a huge fan of Detroit metal, as some on here know, but these might work out well for you. The engine should hold up as long as the rest of the car holds up around it under the snowplow assault. Vinnie the body shop guy can easily steal obtain parts for it, and no one wants to steal these cars. You can probably get one 2-3 years old for the price of a 4-year old Corolla.

EDIT: I still say the Toyotas, etc., are good cars. I'm just saying it might make more financial sense to go with an American car in your case.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fiancee thinks the Beetle is the cutest thing.

Hope she doesn't think I'm getting one when my 18-year-old Lexus finally dies.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OTD must live in my garage. We have a Taurus, bought it as a used fleet car from a Ford dealer for 10 grand. Was about 2 years old, had 30k miles and had a chunk of the original warranty left. No problems in the two years we've had it. And my wife drives it, so it has to be able to take hits (I can say that since she doesn't lurk here!).

My brother has a Honda Fit. I drove it over Thanksgiving and was very impressed.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Jettas will eat your lunch on repairs. Even at an independent shop because the parts cost more. Last time I checked the Jetta even took a special power steering fluid that was about five time as expensive.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Someone said earlier the Smart car takes premium gas?? Not very, uh, smart.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ragu, I just got done reading the annual Car & Driver 10Best edition. The Fit is on the list for the second consecutive year - an amazing feat for that type of car to be on the list among vehicles three and four times the cost.

Honda Fit and Civic, Toyota Corolla, perhaps Nissan Sentra is about right. I've never owned a Volkswagen, but it's no different from the good Japanese makes in that if you take of it, it will take care of you. There's a reason the Jetta has continued to sell so well.

If you're going to take a look at VWs, though, consider the Golf/GTI. It's more compact, fits in smaller spaces and gets better gasoline mileage than the Jetta. I would think some older ones might be on the market, and the beauty of them is the trim levels - they vary from the economy run champs (something you're looking for) to the nice little pockets rockets that can really go (yeah, I get a little weakness for those).

Good luck with this, Ragu, and let us know how it turns out.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Apropos of the small car conversation, I wanted to post this.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Any mechanic worth his Snap-On tool chest has the same computer diagnostic tool the VW dealer is using (it's called a VAG-COM). You can buy a consumer-level version for about $250. Which is a good idea, because if you buy a VW it's going to need a lot of diagnosing and a lot of work done.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Entirely possible.

I have no idea. That's why I don't mind a car that I have to take to a dealership.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sam, thanks. I have gotten some really good advice from people on here; a few in PMs. I know very little about cars. That dented Honda did me well, though. It's a 1993 and I got rid of it because I didn't feel like putting any more money into it, but I sold it to a mechanic who paid me in cash and paid for a tow and he is fixing it and thinks he can get good money for it. Amazing. I am going to look at all of those cars you mentioned, including the Fit. I'll let everyone know what I do. I am going to take my time. I can get through the next few months until Spring and rent cars when I need them. I really don't rely on a car.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Import mechanics know this, MacDaddy. The ones who maintained my vehicles for years were highly aware of it.

But from a consumer standpoint, VWs aren't that much more high-maintenance than the other stalwart makes. If we're going to go at it from a mechanic's viewpoint, buy Toyota right now. Good parts availability, not overengineered, easy access to parts throughout the engine bay and chassis and nearly bulletproof. Hondas are bulletproof, but they overpack the engine bay and some things are confounding - such as putting the plug in the oil pan right where it would splash all over a crossmember on the underside when pulled and on a hoist. Same with Nissan, hence Toyota tends to win tiebreakers on this criteria.

I know these things, and I'm sure you do too, MacDaddy. Does Ragu really care? Doubtful.

Draft saved Draft deleted