1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car advice sought

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 6, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Remember that accident I had in March, where I skidded into a tree in a snowstorm?
    My insurance is now $60 a month more.
    That'll teach me to have bad luck.

2. Smallpotatoes

The mechanic said I'm looking at a tie rod, two tires, a valve (I can't remember exactly what it's called, but that's why the check engine light is on) and the compressor on the air conditioner.

3. Sounds like a lot of coin. Did he give you an estimate?

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The valve is probably the PCV valve. That (among many things, including a loose gas cap) would make the Check Engine light come on.

A/C compressor could be pricy.

5. Smallpotatoes

No.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So pricey on my 2002 Dodge Stratus it was the final straw in me getting a new car — after going one full summer with no A/C.

7. Having to replace a tie rod and the A/C compressor will probably be enough to put you over the edge.

8. Smallpotatoes

I had tires done today for $208 at another place. The tie rod, I'm told, will be another $350.
    Not sure about the rest of the stuff.
    If fixing it isn't worthwhile, I still have one payment left. How does one go about trading it in (though I doubt I'd get much for it) if I have a payment left on it?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Any bets that the dealership eats that payment? Given the state of the industry right now, eating one month's payment is small potatoes in the grand scheme of purchasing another vehicle.

I just got a promo that said it would give me 49 percent of the full value of my six-year-old vehicle if I wished to do something. No dice - I like my vehicle and it doesn't have any problems whatsoever - but hope that gives you some idea.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I was in the same situation in late February. 2000 Pontiac Sunfire had just hit 160,000 miles when it died. Just before winter began, I got four new tires and replaced an outer tie-rod. But what made me nervous was some engine noises, flickers on the "check engine" light and some hesitation during city driving. And I went a year without a new inspection sticker because they told me I needed a new rack and pinion, which was bogus.

Glad I didn't get that rack and pinion. My engine died Feb. 21, 2009. Two days later, my wife and I went car shopping. I feel a ton better about driving these days, not worrying about that noise or this hesitation was. Yeah, I had to take a look at the checkbook to see what corners I might have to cut, but I was going to get a new car in 2010 anyway -- I wanted to hit 175,000, or what I got from my GMC Jimmy before trading it in when I got the Sunfire.

I got $200 for my car from the people who towed it to their lot and tried to revive it. Before I sold it, though, I made sure the engine didn't turn when I sat in the car one last time. Had I tried to trade it in before it died, I'm not sure how much I would have gotten, because I'm not sure whether the state would require me to fix whatever the inspection says needs to be fixed.

11. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

When I bought my truck in 2003, I traded in my older truck and it had one payment on it. From what I gather, they made that payment and the truck was theres.

I also wouldn't take less than $2,000 for the truck (nothing wrong with it, just didn't want it anymore).

Have a set number in your head of what you want for your car and don't take no for an answer. Someone out there will take it.

About a year ago I went back to the lot to check out some newer model trucks and while looking, the guy trying to sell me basically said if I can get you into a newer model for the same price you are paying today, will you do it.

So they want a deal. Just drive a hard bargain and you won't be sorry. If they don't, someone else will.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

If you don't want to sell private-party, I'd forget about the AC and anything else you don't absolutely need to fix today, drive it into the ground and then sell it to a local auto wrecker who'll tow and go. Better than giving it away to the dealer.

Given the amount of miles you're putting your cars it might be in your best interest to stay away from new cars. The valuation hit you take for those miles will be significant if you plan to sell your car in its first 5-7 years.

There are a lot of great used cars out there locally via craigslist/autotrader if you have the time/inclination to deal with the many attendant hassles.

If you do need to buy from a dealer, you might as well buy a new car. There are some good promotions out there for new inventory. But from what I've seen across the nation this year, used car prices at new-car dealers and used-car lots are typically 30-60 percent higher than what's available via private parties.

Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted