1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car advice needed asap - I know it's a crazy hour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So my car just started moving funny and when I looked, the heating meter was all the way up. Opened the hood, saw steam and freaked. Guy pulled over offered some coolant put didn't have any. He said i could use water as a temporary fix until I get some real coolant in there. My question - should I let the car sit off for a bit before going again, or just keep driving. I don't want it to overheat seeing how it's nearly 5 am, but I really want to get home. Any advice now would be appreciated, because I'm on the side of the road just waiting right now.
  2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Good news. Water cooled it off. Pulled in to local 24-7 gas station, added some more and checked my oil - which was low. Hopefully this is my last post on the thread for the night.
  3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How old is your car, and the coolant in it? You may want to get it tested for a leak somewhere. It could be in a hose somewhere, or you could get lucky like I did last year and have it turn out to be that you just need a new cap and the whole thing only costs you 50 bucks.
  4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yes, you can use water in an emergency rather than antifreeze/coolant, but I would suggest having this taken care of sooner rather than later. No one wants to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of the night. Good luck.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just had to get my cooling system fixed last week.
    At first, we thought it was the freeze plug. I was pissed because it's such a stupiod repair. Replacing a $3 part that takes all day because the engine has to be dismantled to get to it. It's a $400 job - all labor.

Turned out to be the water pump. Switched that out and replaced the thermostat. Saved about $70 on that.
  6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I second Flying's question about the age of the coolant. If it's been more than a couple of years or you can't remember when, it would be pretty cheap insurance to have it flushed. While that's being done, have timing belt/chain and other belts looked at.
  7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Coolant is supposed to be a closed system so if you're low there's a leak somewhere. Hopefully it's something minor, like a hose or the radiator cap. Could be something much worse, though. Be sure to get it checked out.
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Heating meter?
  9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, I got a leak in my water pump that's gonna cost about $478 whenever I get around to affording to get it fixed.
  10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rhody let the car sit a bit so engine cools down . be careful pulling off cap. use a rag and turn cap slowly - almost like opening up a champagne bottle . a lot of pressure builds up.

Once you get to garage have them check to be sure engine block did not crack from the heat. good luck.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Be careful if you're going to be driving it. Carry plenty of coolant and/or water in the trunk. Check the level often.
    You can damage the engine.
Draft saved Draft deleted