1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car accident while working

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jackson Sundown, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Some hunting advice from the Tater (not Idaho)

"If you ever miss a deer because the bullet's moving too fast. I'll tell you what: slow the bullet down to 55 miles an hour, put some little headlights and a horn on it, the deer will actually jump in front of the bullet."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I used to deliver pizzas years ago for a place that bought cheap little cars for us to drive. We wrecked those babies so much you wouldn't believe it.

Guy finally went out of business.

As for you Jackson, it's no different than if you were driving home from the office. They company wouldn't be liable.

Now if you were hurt while driving on company business, you could probably collect workman's comp (though if you were driving home from a gym after filing a story, that would be dicey).

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why do you people think any company should be responsible for your damages just becuase you were on your way to or from an event when you hit the damn deer?

If you were an accountant, driving in rush hour traffic at 8:30 a.m. on the way to the office and some doofus rear ended you, caused a chain reaction and you got sandwiched, would you expect your employer to pay for those damages?

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No, but I'd expect the doofus to pay.

Seriously, I don't see how the company is responsible for the damages in this case. You hit a deer, it sucks. But think how the deer feels.

Also, what the hell kind of Nazi outfits are some of you working for? I'm sorry, Idaho, but I woulda told that desk hack to kiss my ass three words into that phone call. I know you needed the job and all, but still, that's no reason to take shit from someone who has achieved that level of dickheadedness.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No way the company pays, and they are definitely still going to want the story you were working on that day.

On my way to cover a high school football game a few years back, some idiot wasn't paying attention as we approached a red light and plowed right into the back end of my car hard enough to push me into the minivan in front of me, thus damaging both bumpers. The car was still driveable, so once we handled all the legal and insurance stuff, I still went to the game (I had left very early, so I still made it on time).

Then went to the hospital with a stiff neck after my story was filed. It really wasn't that bad and the pain went away, but my insurance guy suggested I go just in case I have any lasting effects when the accident was clearly the other driver's fault.

My boss's response when he found out (after the game, before I had filed)? You ok? Yes. You're there doing the story? Yup. Ok, see ya later.

Sidenote to the story. Two days after getting my car back from the body shop, my wife and I go to an NFL game and park in a small neighborhood lot. After the game, as we wait at the exit for a chance to go, some drunk jackass runs right into the rear end of my car, messing up the brand new replacement bumper.

The cops wouldn't even come through the game traffic because no one was hurt. Just told us to get the guy's insurance information.

I'm glad I don't drive that car any more. Damn thing seemed to have a bullseye on the back of it.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They'll just offer you a recipe for venizen gumbo.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Kind of like Boots' girl ...

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

just be glad you didn't cause an accident while you were on the clock because then the company would be liable for your actions and any damages you caused. after their insurance pays out, you can bet that some of these cheapo newspaper companies would make your life miserable for the next three years while going after you to be reimbursed.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I totaled my piece of shit while covering something several years ago. A lady ran a light and crushed my car like a beer can. It was a great blessing. Used a big return check on a down payment.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Your accountant friend isn't on the clock. Our sports reporter friend is.
    Not saying the company should pay up, but there's a hole in your theory.

Of course, when my former paper wasn't keeping up with the fuel prices, I started taking a company car to almost every event. Considered saying I wouldn't go to an event unless they provided the car, but decided that wouldn't be a good idea.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No, but if I was that accountant and I was driving to or from assigned off-site work, then yes I would expect my employer to help may for the repairs to my vehicle.
    I'm being paid while I'm driving because I am at work.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Sorry, but I've been hit before while at work. And the cops/insurance company tried to split the blame. I was in the right. Other driver in the wrong. But I had to fight my own battle. My company couldn't have cared less.

Driving a car is no one's responsibility but your own. You can - and should - purchase the business insurance policy for such reasons.

Like I said earlier, if you don't have business policy, you DO NOT (I cannot make that any more clear DO FUCKING NOT) tell the cops or insurance company you were working at the time of the accident - in your case, hitting the deer. Which leads me to this: Do not say you hit a deer. Say the deer jumped out and hit you. If you say you hit it, the insurance company will say you're at fault. Trust me, I have plenty of cop friends and live in the north.

Draft saved Draft deleted