1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caple: Shut Up, Red Sox Nation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If you haven't heard arrogance from Bears fans, you haven't been listening for it.

As for arrogance amongst Packers fans? Maybe. If I were to criticize the fanaticism of Packers fans -- and I wouldn't -- I'd call it self-satisfied pride more than arrogance. That's what happens to a fanbase when it has real, tangible accomplishments in its recent past as much as its distant history.

So, in other words, when Packers say Bears fans suck it carries more weight than when Bears fans say Packers fans suck. :D :D :D

2. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Hate hate HATE Red Sox fans. Hate 'em, and as a result I hate the Red Sox far more than Yankees. The big difference is Yanks fans know they're the Evil Empire, even embrace it. Red Sox act like they're some Ma-n-Pa organization running on a Pittsburgh Pirates budget when they're the exact same team as those hated Yankees.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ummm ... yeah. The Bears have the same Super Bowl W-L record as the Packers in the last 40 years. Or were you referring to T.O, fourth-and-26 and the like?

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

It's not so much the fans here in RSN - though it's entertaining to see how some of them truly live and die with the team - as it is the nightly news sportscasters in the smaller markets of RSN. I've never watched or heard some of the biggest and most obnoxious Red Sox apologists as I have by watching the 11 o'clock news in this corner of the world.

5. Bubbler

Nice selective math leaving out the first two Super Bowls. The Packers are 3-1 in the Super Bowl overall, the Bears 1-1. I'll leave it at that, though if I wanted to be selective I could say the championship scoreboard is Packers 6-2 since '61.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You said "recent past." You consider 40-41 years ago recent? Jeebus, spnited was in his 30s when that happened.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

To be fair, he said 'recent past as well as its distant history.'

8. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I think Boston fans in general may be the most obnoxious in pro sports. Ever seen patriot fans on NFL message boards -- let's just say they stand out.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's fine. But not an accurate statement if only recent history is taken into account. The Bears and Packers have had just about the same amount of good years as God-awful in the last three to four decades. Before that? Who cares; neither of us was alive.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Someone's gettin' punched in the face; that's for sure. Hey Bubs, you gonna be in the Chicago area the third week of September? :)

11. Bubbler

I would consider "recent past" to be events that happened in the collective memory of anyone 60 and under. Moreover, pro football's modern era is widely considered to be from '60 on.

The Bears piled up most of their championship legacy before World War II. The Packers have an ancient and a modern championship legacy.

But by any standard, the Bears have been pretty mediocre. The only decade they can be said to have lorded over anyone in within their division (or the Packers) is the 80s, and only the late 80s at that.

An argument can be made that the Bears are ahead in the current decade based on last year's Super Bowl, but it's a weak one, considering both the Packers and Vikings were ahead of the Bears more often than not since 2000.

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

This coming from a guy who sells his anti-Yankees, pro-Red Sox book on his own personal Web site. Way to stick to your guns, Jim.

Seems like he's just trying to stir the pot for little to no reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted