1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caple: Shut Up, Red Sox Nation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Aug 29, 2007.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Become? Where have you been? Red Sox fans have always ranked right up there with Kentucky basketball fans as the worst and most obnoxious in sports.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Red Sox fans are the only thing that can make me root for the Yankees.

3. In the two places I've lived outside of Chicago, people have told me I'm the only White Sox fan they know, so I'm surprised we draw that much ire.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, your fans are so much better than everyone else. That's why everyone on here who isn't a Red Sox fan agrees most of you are unbelievable douchenozzles. ::)

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Van Lingle Mungo, Bubbler's a proud son of Milwaukee. He's phobic, in general, toward Chicago sports.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's some truth to that. But the Sox fans you do encounter generally make you want to punch them in the face.

I don't know whether to award points for loyalty to a thoroughly unlikeable team over the years or question their sanity for the same reason. It's like they take the "no one likes us" to heart.

7. writing irish

Funny, how in this threadjack about Chicago fans, there's no mention of Blackhawks fans.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged.

But seriously, what justifies the general arrogance of the Bears' fanbase? They huff and puff about being one of the NFL's elite franchises, but have precious little to prove it over the last 50 years. Two Super Bowl appearances and the Super Bowl Shuffle does not an elite franchise make. By that standard, the Bengals qualify as elite for its two Super Bowls plus the Ickey Shuffle.

The Bears have two championships since 1950 and haven't been dynastic since Al Capone walked the earth. They've had some great players, nearly all of whom don't have any postseason moments to enhance their greatness. Butkus and Sayers didn't even play in the postseason.

That's why I think its funny when the Bears suck, because their fans act like its an affront against their tradition. Despite evidence that proves losing IS much of their tradition.

9. I can see that. I'm not a huge fan of the anti-Cub Sox fans, myself.

At any rate, I managed to sit next to a "Yankee fan" at Comiskey who wore a Red Sox cap. The Yankees were winning big, and he was standing up and rubbing it in, pointing to his crotch and everything, when somebody asked him how on Earth a Yankee fan can wear a Red Sox cap. His response: "SCOREBOARD!"

Those are the ambassadors.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Having been to Fenway and Yankee Stadium this year -- not for the rivalry games, mind you -- I can say with certainty that the volume of anti-New York, mostly obscene T-shirts for sale in Boston far outpaces similar items being hawked along 161st Street and River Avenue.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

General arrogance? From whom? I lived in Chicago for more than 20 years; I never heard Bears fans walking around saying the team was God's gift to football (the fucking Superfans don't count). Most of that talk came from y'all and your insistance that Lambeau Field, Vince Lombardi and Brett Favre are the three most important things in NFL history.

12. writing irish

Kramer was offside.

Draft saved Draft deleted