1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caple: Shut Up, Red Sox Nation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Aug 29, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Jim Caple is my new favorite writer.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just hate Bill Simmons, and that seems to tide me over.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Pre-2004:

Yankee Fans' Obnoxious Nature > Red Sox Fans' Obnoxious Nature.

Since?

I'd be shocked if it's dead-even. Most Sawx fans I know have a disproportionate sense of entitlement that would stun a team of oxen.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Dead Sox fans are among the most obnoxious in sports. So are Skankees fans. And Dook fans. And Cowchips fans.

I'd say Raiders fans, but their team is too pathetic to invest any energy toward hating.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

ESPECIALLY the Chicago Sting. :D

What's weird is that the least annoying of Chicago's fans are probably Bulls fans, the ones from Chicago anyway. And Bulls fans have every right to be arrogant considering they won more titles in eight seasons than the Bears, Cubs and White Sox have won since World War II.

Sure, their fanbase was annoying in general because of all of the MJ bandwagon jumpers outside of Chicago, but the ones who have been Bulls fans pre-MJ in the Tri-State are comparatively not bad compared to Bears, Cubs and Sox fans.

Bears fans? Good Lord. With all of their Monsters of the Midway bluster, you'd think they were perennial NFL powers instead of one of the worst NFL franchises since the merger. The Bears have had 21 losing seasons since '70 (tied with the Lions, who get the loser label and not the Bears), and other than '63, were generally average from '50 on.

Perhaps the most arrogant fan base for one year of real accomplishment I can think of, but Red Sox fans are close.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Spoken like a true Milwaukee-area fan. ::)

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's the thing I noticed with Yankees fans while growing up in New York. Most of the ones I know, you know, with the multi-colored hats and the Jeter jerseys, don't know a damn thing about the team. That's what I find most annoying, and up until a couple years ago, I only saw that in Yankees fans. Sadly, Red Sox fans are right there with them. And what's worse, is that many people I know, started speaking with the New England tongue after 2004, too.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The line forms at Saban Nation only because (Fill in the Blank) Nation had played itself out already and was ready to die, before those boobs resurrected it.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Red Sox are the largest draw in baseball. Caple's merely bored and wanting to stir the pot. Yawn. Next...

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Careful, Slappy.

Saban will send the black helicopters to find you in the middle of the night.

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

What about the Philadelphia Freedom? We're all a part of it.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Here's what's happened to Red Sox fans and why they've become so annoying:

When they won the World Series, yes, it was a good story. Most fans rooted for them. But quickly, it got annoying. How many fucking books were written? But here's the real kicker: Red Sox fans think they are OK and can be like they are because they aren't the Yankees. But in all honesty, most people, especially in smaller markets, view Boston and New York as the same - big bad bullies. The Red Sox won the World Series with the same formula the Yankees have.

Draft saved Draft deleted