1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caple: Shut Up, Red Sox Nation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Aug 29, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

"...hollowed ground..." Boom, sometimes your linguistic stumbles are much richer than the straight stuff we post here.

I hope the M's can hollow that ground some more, starting Monday.

2. IU90

IU90 Member

How about "most" or "more" instead?

Obviously there are "some" obnoxious louts in every fan base, but with beantown fans the percentages seem to go higher than the norm. So "some" doesn't quite cut it for descriptive accuracy purposes there.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

IU90.....the "Sox" fans you're dealing with probably aren't from Boston. I know Sox fans fill the opponents stadiums.....but they aren't travelling to Kansas City to follow the team. They do fly to Baltimore, FLA., and Cali.......so, "most" Sox fans that live in Missouri are assholes.

4. IU90

IU90 Member

I don't live in Missouri so I wouldn't know. But I have encountered the Red Sox fan phenomenon in Boston (yes, at Fenway), NY, Chicago, and Cleveland and have plenty of experience with Patriot fans as well, and have noticed an average degree of boorishness from those fans that seems to exceed groups from elsewhere.

But, admittedly, that's just my subjective observation, I could be wrong. But, if so, I'm not alone. Plenty of others seem to share that opinion.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I have a little anecdote pertaining to the Philly vs. Boston fans:
    This season both the Red Sox and Phillies came to my hometown team's ballpark. I attended two games for each series. The Red Sox fans there spent most of the game on the concourse, getting mad at locals for cheering on their team and picking fights, and honestly paid very little attention to the game.

The Phillies fans were in their seats being loud and drunk -- I happened to be surrounded by several. By the end of the night, I was bullshitting with most of them and having a great time. They talked shit, but they were there to have fun and get good and drunk, and though we were cheering for different teams they didn't act as though I was an enemy, which Red Sox fans did. Based on that limited experience, I far prefer Philly fans.

Of course, this is just one very small sample, and not even <i>from</i> Boston or Philly directly, so take it for what it's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted