1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Capitol Hill Not A Safe House For Crooked Congressmen After All!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

BC-APNewsAlert
    WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge has ruled that an FBI raid on
    a Louisiana congressman's Capitol Hill office was legal.

Fucking crooked ass Jefferson.

2. Appeals await.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought Sen. Jefferson Smith took care of all that corruption when he went to Washington in 1939. ???

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lots of serious separation-of-powers questions to be answered here. This will be headed to SCOTUS in pretty short order.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How is this a separation of powers issue? Congressmen aren't supposed to be above the law.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The FBI is under control of the Executive Branch. There were certain rules put in place to prevent a king type of character from barging into Congress and arresting all of its members.

Now, this does not mean I want Jefferson to get away with anything. The man is crooked and should pay the penalty for such behavior. It is merely the manner in which this all went down.

As an aside, Republicans were also upset by the FBI going after Jefferson due to the precendent that it could set.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I understand both sides of the aisle are upset but the fact of the matter is that the guy is dirty as hell and shouldn't be able to hide behind his position in Congress.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No seperation of powers problem at all, the executive branch received a search warrant founded upon probable cause (4th amendment) from the judicial branch to search an office of a Congressman.

Sounds like a system of checks and balances where the judiciary was a check upon the executive who was utilizing a constitutionally recognized search procedure.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Proving that the only bi-partisan agreement they can reach is that they must all protect their crooked ways.

10. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Honestly, in general, our Washington Bureau colleagues are failing us. If they were less biased in their reporting and harder on the investigations, all these Bush's second term scandals would have been out before the election. Then, no matter how badly the right wing tools try to rig the election, they still would be overwhelmed.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

exactly. this is what we learned in the first year of law school. we pretty much knew this even before starting law school.

anyone who thinks this is a separation of powers issue has bought into the nonsensical hype being spewed by over-eager, arrogant, power-mad congressmen. i hate the bush administration more than i've ever hated anyone or anything before, but for congressmen to turn this into a separation of powers issue is pure hype and spin. there was nothing wrong with this -- and that's why alberto gonzalez and others threatened to resign if congress won this battle.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mel Gibson screwed it all up in the remake with Homer Simpson

Draft saved Draft deleted