1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cape Coral, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Another opening, courtesy of jjobs and (after you look at the salary) the Ramen Noodle Express.
    Company: Daily Breeze
    Position:
    Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    April 6, 2007
    Job ID: 745568

Description:
    IMMEDIATE NEED for entry level sports writer at a six-day daily community newspaper in Southwest Florida. General, youth and prep local sports coverage position ideal for energetic self-starter with inquisitive people skills, some photography (digital) and pagination (QuarkXpress on a Mac) knowledge helpful. Great opportunity for writer just starting out or seeking a challenging job change. Reply ASAP with resume, phone numbers and/or e-mail address to: breezesports@breezenewspapers.com; by snail-mail to Daily Breeze Sports Editor, P.O. Box 151306, Cape Coral, FL 33915; by phone (239) 574-1110, ext. 136 (after 3 p.m. daily).

2. pallister

pallister Guest

You can't afford to be homeless for 20K in Florida.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Wouldn't this paper have considerable competition from Ft. Myers? Why even have a paper if you are going to pay your employees a salary for the homeless?

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

because somewhere there's a person for this job

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because somebody feels they can make a killing selling ads and paying pauper's wages to the staff.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Something tells me this paper competes poorly in ad sales with the News-Press, too. I'm guessing Ft. Myers beats Cape Coral in just about everything except maybe real estate costs.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Last I heard, this was a sinking ship. We had a guy apply for a gig who used to work there. He actually said he preferred risking permanent unemployment in this shitty economy than working there.

8. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Here's some info I found scanning the Web.

The Daily Breeze is owned by Ogden -- already a red flag.

According to a USSPI rate card, the Breeze's daily circulation is around 2,100.

Cape Coral is a city of about 100,000.

That might be all you need to know.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There was a rumor a few years ago about Scripps buying the paper.

10. I thought Scripps was aching to dump its print division the second the last grandchildren die.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A real probability.

I own property in the area. There's plenty of money to be made in that town. It's something like one-third developed, already one of the fastest growing cities anywhere, and there's a lot of space. In 20-25 years it could be something. I don't think newspapers will be around to see any of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted