1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cape Cod Times looking for copy editor/reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Feb 14, 2009.

1. jetssack

jetssack Member

Why all the hostility? I thought the purpose of this board was to provide support and info. I guess this economy is making everyone a bit testy.

I disagree that rarely is a "anyone know what's going" question answered seriously. I've seen people post the name of a new hire, or status updates. Right now, you can go to the MLB intern thread and see how many people stated when they did/did not get replies. What's the harm if it calms people's nerves while they wait to hear?

For Squeezer, my suggestion is that you re-read the ad, b/c it provides two clues: Deadline February 27 (i.e., nobody will hear anything for some time because he was still receiving resumes as of Friday - and has hundreds to read) and "PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS." Translation: you will piss the SE off, while indicating that you don't read closely or follow instructions. (In that case, a just-checking-in email is basically the same thing.)

2. Twice I've been burned by e-mailing potential bosses about a job I had applied for. Both times, the response was basically "We'll let you know when we're ready. Until then, please allow us to sift through resumes."

The right response on their part? Of course not, and yeah I'd probably not want to work for them. But it has made me a little gun-shy about sending follow-up e-mails.

Not saying that hitting up a message board is the best alternative (I've never personally posted the "anyone heard anything on this one" line, though I don't have much of a problem with it). I just don't see the need to jump all over someone who does. Some folks here aren't quite as experienced as others, and may not know the best approach.

A little tact goes a long way, no?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A. The MLB intern thread is not normal. That was a bunch of college kids commiserating about whether or not they were going to get "hired" as a free intern.
    B. Fuck the SE right in the ear if he doesn't hire someone because they sent an e-mail asking what the heck is going on. Seriously.

4. I like to show up, unannounced, in person. I travel to the newspaper I applied with, get past security, and break into the SE's office. I find out what time he normally shows up for work, and get there about 15 minutes early.

Then, as he opens the door when he arrives for work, I swing around in his chair and say, "Hello, I'm (my name) your new sports writer."

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Also, make sure you research his background on the internet and find out as much about him as possble. Maybe get on his facebook profile and make a T-shirt out of a collage of his pics.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Of course, if you want to get hired I guess you should be able to spell prerogative, as well.

There is nothing cavalier about it.

If an SE throws out your resume because you sent an e-mail wanting an update, then that SE is a fucking idiot.

If you are applying at my paper, I would rather you sent an e-mail looking for an update because it shows you are actually interested. Not saying it will get you hired, but it certainly won't put you on the bottom of the stack.

7. jetssack

jetssack Member

But what will put you on the bottom of the stack is annoying him when he specifically asked not to have 1,000 applicants (who already indicated their interest by applying) ringing his phone off the hook all day while he's trying to read resumes and edit a paper (or by extension, filling up his inbox with hundreds of emails), all basically asking, "what's up?" What's up is that he'll contact you if and when he wants you.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Then I'm glad to be at the bottom of the list, because we won't be a good fit.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good god, if an SE is pissed because he has to ignore an e-mail, fuck him or her.

and i'm really enjoying watching the newb tell 'gola what's up with the process of hiring employees. it's actually amusing, to be honest.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The birthing process of the common American troll (Idiotus knuckledraggus) is seldom a pretty sight.

11. VB3man

VB3man New Member

Looks like this position will "not be filled at this time"

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow. how defining.

Draft saved Draft deleted