1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canzano working "blue"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I know newspapers are desperate for audience and relevancy, and have been lowering their standards with each round of buyouts and each new "platform" pursued in sheer panic.

But really, do we need legitimate journalists writing things like this?

Relax, Blazer fans... Pritchard not headed to prison
    Posted by John Canzano July 25, 2008 14:40PM
    Don't lose sleep over the puppet piece in the Portland Tribune today. As I pointed on on the BFT today, this is a case of Darius Miles' camp trying to give the Blazers a brushback. Make no mistake --- Miles' agent would like the Blazers to stfu when it comes to talking about his career-ending injury so someone will sign him. ... "

http://blog.oregonlive.com/johncanzano/2008/07/relax_blazer_fans_pritchard_no.html#comments

STFU?

It's from Oregonian columnist John Canzano's blog, and it leaves almost nothing to the imagination in terms of the profanity implied. What a shame, since it was only a couple of years ago that newspapers would save writers from making tasteless references like that or might fire them if they did.

STFU? Since when did The Oregonian get purchased by Sam Zell?

2. I like Canzano and The Oregonian, but of late it's become one big blog. And they're just mailing it in with the blogs. They should put up a sign: No Work Being Done Here.

There are many reasons why newspapers are dying. We can blame Craig's List all we want, but the laziness of reporters and columnists is also a big contributor to this downfall.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

One thing's for sure: Mike DeCourcy does not like this. Not at all. [/oldsj]

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Seems to me the Tribune story isn't that strong. It suggests the Blazers have violated HIPPA, but it has no indication that the team violated the player's confidentiality. If there were such a case, wouldn't the agent have made the charge? Instead, he declined comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted