1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canzano Skewers ESPN's BCS "relationship"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry, but "Everyone already knows." isn't an argument.

You want to unpack the knot of conflicts inherent in sports and television, do so.

Canzano doesn't.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

This column did come across as whiny to me, a little more inside baseball than the readers care about and enough inside baseball for the reader to conclude the guy is just bitching that he doesn't get to watch practice like Herbstreit.

I know that's not his point, but to a lot of readers, that's how it'll come across.

Having said that, Franklin makes an interesting point. Is this ESPN's problem, or a problem with the organizations that contract with ESPN and grant more exclusive access? If Fox News sought to buy exclusive White House access and was granted for a price, would that be Fox's fault or the White House?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To me, there is one massive flaw in Canzano's argument (and by extension, those who are backing his column):

ESPN is not a newspaper. It's not a company that exists for the sole purpose of journalism. It never has been.

ESPN is a television broadcast network. The journalism involved in Sportscenter and OTL is a small part of the company picture.

Kirk Herbstreit is not a journalist. He is a TV football analyst. He doesn't do what John Canzano or Pat Forde or Ed Werder do. Essentially, he has the same job as Terry Bradshaw or James Brown or Troy Aikman. There's a big, big difference there.

So, Canzano has discovered that the broadcasting team for an event has better access than journalists covering the event. Congratulations for that. Been true for decades, but no one cares when it's FOX or NBC.

IJAG is absolutely right that ESPN has different branches of the company that do different things, and no, it's not disingenuous to point that out. It's not like trying to draw a line between Shep Smith and Sean Hannity; it's more like drawing a line between Shep Smith and "American Idol" or "The Simpsons."

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

MizzouGrad liked my post ... it really IS a Happy New Year.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think many of us grew up watching SportsCenter before ESPN had any Big Four sports - SportsCenter WAS ESPN because they didn't have anything else. It isn't that way anymore. Dumping ESPN News for Highlight Express pretty much said it all.
    But I wonder if this really IS news to Canzano, maybe he is too far inside to see the sports world from most fans. Maybe he is hacked because the BCS games are "BCS games" and not like covering an Oregon home game, throw in Oregon's own strict media controls and I can understand how frustrating it is to go down to Pasadena and realize you might have just as well stayed home and done phone interviews and not have to get all of your quotes in cattle call press conferences.
    In this business - people are nice to you (for the most part) and provide access in direct relation to how much you can make their life miserable in print or on the airwaves. Most new coaches always go out of their way to kowtow to the biggest names in sports media when they come to town. When athletes and coaches get to a certain level and they can afford to be rude to media types - they will be...until they aren't at that level anymore. It's all about leverage.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That was a pretty small window. ESPN started in the fall of 1979 and began showing NHL games in 1980 and NBA games in 1982.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

True - but I do think people who grew up in the 80s, saw ESPN as where you go for sports news. So many different things and people with different objectives now carry the ESPN brand. Now you have former journalists, athletes, coaches, current journalists, talented writers, "personalities," - all saying stuff under the ESPN "says." And when they say it are they speaking as a personality? A journalist? A former player? An analyst? A coach? An average person? You never know if they are carrying water for someone or something, just popping off or giving an honest opinion or analysis.
    As much as Fox News gets ripped, I don't confuse Bill O'Reilly with Chris Wallace, while Chris Matthews and Anderson Cooper seem to have morphed into some kind of weird hybrid.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For a columnist so passionately concerned about the intrusion of money and leverage into college athletics, Mr. Canzano seems to have made his peace with Nike and the University of Oregon.

www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2011/12/canzano_nike_and_the_oregon_du.html

9. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Well, as far as I can tell, Phil Knight and Nike don't control Canzano's access.

And SockPuppet, you sure seem a little too sensitive to criticism of this column, criticism that is far milder than your reaction to it. Happy New Year.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There are a lot of different issues raised by Canzano's story. As someone who started in print (all I ever wanted to be was a sportswriter) and then moved into broadcast media for the last 17 years, I can say that there is one major fundamental difference between the two media that everyone forgets.

What happens when you don't have the rights to them.

People who work for non-broadcast organizations really have no concept of what this means. (I don't intend to sound like an asshole about it; just want to explain.) If you work in print, or you're an online writer, not having "the rights" to an event doesn't really mean anything. You still get a credential, you still have the ability to report and do your work as you normally would. If you write a story the team/league hates, you still get your credential and your seat. (Of course, there are some extreme examples otherwise -- Scott Raab/Heat, the clownish Redskins -- but those events are the minority.)

We pay $110 million a year for the NHL. That is -- by far -- the largest rights fee for any television property in this country. There are certain things we ask for in exchange: short, private meetings coaches before each game; extra consideration for interview/behind-the-scenes access. And you know what, we shouldn't apologize for that. If we're paying that much, plus all of our production costs (which are substantial -- viewers demand a great watching experience), there should be something extra. I would tell you though, we don't get as much as we'd like. As fantastic as HBO's 24/7 is, it personally infuriates me that we don't get the same access.

For radio and television, those rights can be the lifeblood of your existence. For example, where I work, if we ever lost the NHL rights, it would be massively devastating. In Canada, hockey is king. And, if you don't have the radio/TV rights, it can be a major disadvantage. Unlike newspapers/online writing, our access does change. Greatly.

Take the Olympics, for example. If you don't have media rights for that, you might get one reporter and one camera credential. But, you can't take that camera into ANY venue except the Main Press Centre. Or, you might not get a credential at all. That happened to me in 2002, when I covered the Salt Lake City Olympics from parking lots. All interviews came through the generosity of various athletes and media people. But you simply cannot do as good a job. That doesn't happen to print reporters, who get access in the mixed zone (however crazy it is).

Of course, that leads to an awkward dance.

I'm a reporter. And I'm no different from any of you -- even though I work in TV. I want to tell great stories. I want to learn. I love the games. I try to be honest and fair, but tough on people when the situation calls for it. I've been at HNIC for eight years now, and I see the challenge between wanting to be independent and needing the partnership. Luckily, at our place, it tends to be subtle. Very rarely have I been steered away from anything. Our anchor, Ron MacLean, is harder on the NHL than anyone and our bosses deserve a lot of credit for that.

But I've seen other guys hit with sledgehammers by their bosses. Not as badly as Feldman was hit by ESPN, but close. (And I do think ESPN was in the wrong there, because its management clearly backed the wrong horse.) There are some stations who depend on those rightsholders relationships, and the honest truth is that you can't blame them. The alternative can be devastating.

ESPN is a monster, and probably could push back a little. But I'm sure it looks at the developing Comcast/NBC monster with some worry. Maybe that's why it's so defensive. I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The problem is that the leagues tend to get really tense. And they use the rights as leverage. What gets the ratings? The games. ESPN can't do Outside the Lines or E:60, both of which contain some of the best reporting we'll see anywhere, without the games. It's a vicious cycle, I know, but you've got to understand that.

As for people like Herbstreit and Erin Andrews, I just think people have to stop applying their standards to others. I work with a lot of former players. Most of them are great analysts. They've taught me so much about how to watch games and practices. What to look for, what to notice. My coverage is so much better because of that, and their willingness to help. I'll ask them about something they see in a game and they're more than happy to explain. (Working at HNIC actually made me realize how little I knew about hockey.)

But, like Herbstreit, they're not journalists. They just aren't. And there's nothing wrong with it. That's my role, not theirs. They help me, but they don't do what I do. I'll give you an example: Craig Simpson helps me with anything I need. But he gets angry when he hears what players say to me. I never tell him who said it, but I'll talk about what I heard. As a former player who believes in the sanctity of the dressing room, it bothers him certain things get said to a reporter. But there's never an issue between us.

Do I wish it was a perfect world, where you could report without consequences? Sure. But it's not perfect. There are still a lot of people who do great work, walking a pretty fine line. (And, I can assure you, it's much, much worse at the regional level. One play-by-play guy I know was ordered to stop talking about the other team, "because it's our broadcast." When he complained, he was asked if he wanted to continue the job.)

I've read on here about some publishers/editors being the same. I empathize. I really do. But it's not at the same level. I'm very lucky that our bosses allow us to push the line a little. Others aren't so fortunate. At the end of the day, though, the consequences are enormous.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I will not and have not ever given a dime to ESPN. Don't have cable, and never have. Yeah, I've read their columnists online and fired up their web site's "game casts" a few times, so maybe those clicks gave ESPN.com a few fractions of a cent ... but if you don't like ESPN, don't pay for it.

Kind of like if you don't like Mr. Canzano's newspaper, don't subscribe to it or buy it at the newstand.

There are other ways to spend your precious free time.

12. I mostly lurk on here, but I want to say that Elliotte's post is the most interesting one I've read since I've joined this board. I think it's fantastic that somebody of his stature posts here (under his real name!) and gives a glimpse into how the sausage is made.

As for Canzano's take on this, I'm going to suggest that he knows that the ESPN ship has sailed for him so he has nothing to lose by taking shots at them. These days, our jobs are so insecure that it tends to be a career-limiting move to take potshots at the competition.

Draft saved Draft deleted