1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canucks defenceman Luc Bourdon killed in a motorcycle crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Huggy, May 29, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My dad is a minister and has told me since I was in my early teens that he would disown me if I ever bought a motorcycle, says he's buried far too many riders.

I've seen this situation play out far too many times, especially in the city close to my home town where there is far too much money in the hands of younger people with nothing to do but blow it on either drugs or motorcycles they are far too inexperienced to handle.

Last year about a block from where I lived a guy in his early 20s was screwing around on his bike, popping a wheely as he drove around the corner. However, it was raining cats and dogs. He lost control of his bike and ended up braining himself on the trailer hitch of a truck. Oh yeah, and he had called his girlfriend and younger brother out of the house to see his new trick. They watched the whole thing happen in front of them. What a waste.

I know Bourdon's situation is a little bit different, it sounds like he wasn't being a complete idiot was just far too inexperienced for the bike he was driving. A buddy of mine had what I thought was a good idea, a bike liscence should come on a graduated type system where you have to be liscenced with a fairly clean record for so many years before you can buy a bike of a certain power level.

I don't think a team can legislate against a player from doing certain activities. Living on the edge for some of these guys is what makes them so effective as athletes. Then there is the old train of thought that one can just as easily be killed driving a car, or crossing the street . . .

It's just a sad situation.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Actually, some professional sports franchises have clauses written into contracts that forbid an athlete from riding motorcycles or participating in dangerous activities (like bungee jumping).

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

James Mirtle is one of the best hockey bloggers around.

Spent an everning with him and Chris Young of the Star at the Goose a while back.

Good guy. Very, very smart.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oh I know. And if that league's PA is willing to allow that great. I personally have a hard time saying someone can't do something that is completely legal to the rest of society. But at the same time I do see the other side of the coin, especially with all of the money tied up in some of these players either directly or indirectly.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Honestly, I've wanted a motorcycle since I was a little kid, watching the loud bikes screaming down the street while I was playing on the front lawn.

Now? No way. Never. A high school teacher and a close college classmate have died on motocycle accidents in the past three years and I have read about too many fatal accidents. Not worth the risk.

RIP

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Having proper training and a motorcycle you can handle make a big difference.

That being said, I've been riding for eight years and have recently contemplated selling my bike. Like you mentioned, I've just heard so many bad stories I'm wondering whether continuing to ride is a good idea. Especially now that I'm older, married, and allegedly more responsible.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine just bought one to drive to work so he can save gas. I shit you not.

He is married with two kids under the age of three. He also has a gravel driveway that has an uphill slope, so yes, he has hop off his bike after coming in from a 45-mph street before he can push the bike up his driveway.

I have been in at least three car crashes in my life, and each one would have killed me or turned me into a carrot if I was on a motorcycle.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

While we can speculate from now until the end of time whether or not the general public should ride motorcycles on the road, I think this incident - as well as incidents with Jason Williams of the Chicago Bulls, Kellen Winslow Jr. of the Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger - should make for all the cautionary tales needed.

I have another one that's proof that all the training won't save you in all too many circumstances.

A friend of a friend was riding a motorcycle in an urban area. A teenager busy with a cell phone in an SUV wasn't paying attention and punted friend of the friend off his bike and under the car in front of the motorcycle. Guy was instantly a vegetable and died a few weeks later. He was wearing a full-faced helmet, leather jacket and all the other recommended safety items.

Was more training on a motorcycle going to save him?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The vast majority of bike accidents aren't the fault of the rider. They're the vault of the car drivers around him. People don't pay attention, and a bike can be difficult to see even when you do.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So why put your life in their hands?

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Exactly...you can be a fantastic motorcycle rider, but you get hit by some idiot not paying attention in a car and the odds for walking away aren't too comforting.

Draft saved Draft deleted