1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canuckistanis/Hockey Folk — Settle a Bet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A friend of mine and I are having a disagreement.

I say there is more than one Stanley Cup.

He says there is the one and only original Stanley Cup — and no more.

Anyone know the truth?

I find it hard to believe there is only one, considering (I would assume) it's at the hall of fame for much of the year, yet travels with every player, coach, trainer, etc. for the year after their team wins.

Any help, links or stories to prove either of us right?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know there is the one that travels, one at the hall of fame and - I believe - the original bowl is also at the HHOF.

I might be wrong.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"There are actually three Stanley Cups: the original bowl, the authenticated Cup, and the replica at the Hall of Fame. The original bowl purchased by Lord Stanley is currently displayed at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ontario.

The authenticated version or "Presentation Cup" was created in 1963 by Montreal silversmith Carl Petersen. It is authenticated by the seal of the Hockey Hall of Fame on the bottom of the Cup, which can be seen when winning players lift the Cup over their heads, and it is the one currently awarded to the champions of the playoffs and used for promotions.[43] This version was made in secret, and its production was only revealed three years later.[48]

The replica trophy, called the Replica Cup, was created in 1993 by Montreal silversmith Louise St. Jacques to be used as a stand-in whenever the Presentation Cup is not available at the Hockey Hall of Fame.[48]"

Wikipedia

Draft saved Draft deleted