1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canuckistan datelines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 10, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But there's also a Toronto, Ohio. :)

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I say this with all due respect, but your boss is a blithering idiot.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's in any style books, but the Hamilton, Ont. place line should be WORLD'S LARGEST CHEESEBURGER FART, Ont. (Hi, JR!)

4. If you use a byline AND a dateline, you should be reporting from the place of the dateline.

If you use a Hamilton dateline, the byline should read "By Daily Bugle Staff," or some such thing.

Byline/Dateline combo gives readers the idea the reporter was there.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Close. Very close.

6. 1. It's spelled Saskatchewan.

2. Vancouver, Wash. is a city of 157,000 residents. Toronto, Ohio is a town of 5,000.

3. Using the dateline means you were there. If you were not in the city, you do not use the dateline. Simple.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

i can tell i am catching flack over this. my shop style is to use a dateline on everything, whether we did interviews in the office or at that specific place. i do not agree with it, but i cant do anything to change it.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Small threadjack here...my current gig uses datelines for things that happen in the town where the paper is located...the last two places I was at, we simply left it out, no dateline at all...

I've brought this up at my new place, and everyone looks at me like I'm dumb (which I may be)...

How do your places do it?

9. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Hey Son, Americans think of Vancouver, a 'burb of Portland, as in Oregon, when they see Vancouver stand alone. I am sorry the American AP doesn't view life in the same manner you third-world country folks see the world.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sounds to me like somebody is a little too infatuated with datelines and/or has the wrong definition of the word. I made that mistake when I was younger, and thought it was "cool" to put an out-of-town dateline on a story that took place elsewhere.

Then I learned what a dateline really meant, and why even if it looks good it's incorrect and borderline deceiving to do it that way.

KY, your paper needs to fix that and fix it fast.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

buck-dub, you are right. i dont know why we even started doing it. we even use one for the cities in our county, which i think is stupid.

12. Sheri

Sheri Member

I live in Saskatchewan.

The only datelines we have in the paper are in the classified section for those with enough ambition to breed someone outside the family. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted