1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canuck torture?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WHA73, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I use slo-pitch season as practice for the seal hunt.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Roxy Roller" by Sweeney Todd -- when Nick Gilder left the group he was replaced as lead singer by 18-year-old Bryan Adams. True story.

And I can't believe some of you so-called Canadians. Advocating the playing of Platinum Blonde, Honeymoon Suite and the Spoons as torture? For shame. Those groups ruled the 80s up here and should be forever treated with reverence and awe.

Now, Celine Dion I can understand. You all forgot Dan Hill, though. Yes, I realize that was always our goal, to forget Dan Hill, but in this instance I think an endless loop of "Sometimes When We Touch" is just what's needed to break down these God-less terrorists.

That and a marathon of Canadian sitcoms weak even by our lowly standards, highlighted (?) by "Check It Out," starring Don Adams as grocery store manager Howard Bannister, "Learning the Ropes," with Lyle Alzado as a high school principal who moonlights as a masked pro wrestler and, of course, our all-time favourite, "The Trouble With Tracy."

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, JJ, between you and Huggy you guys have the Canuck TV/pop music culture down pat.

But I bet you don't remember Juliette. A fixture on CBC after HNIC.

[​IMG]

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

For some reason I thought this was going to be about Anne Murray.

Never mind. Carry on.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

She was before my time but I've read about her. My God, what an amazing woman she must have been, given that she had to plan a live program that would last anywhere from five to 25 minutes depending on what time HNIC cut out -- apparently hockey wouldn't fill time to the top or the bottom of the hour, leaving it to Our Pet Juliette to do that.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Don't forget the Canadian version of the Grand Ole Opry ...

[​IMG]

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dude I told you not to post that picture of you and I backstage at a Lou Gramm Band concert.

so help me God, if you show the shot of us with his co-headliners Air Supply, I will hunt you down and kill you. (If ANYONE else gets this joke, you have my sympathies)

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

It takes a special kind of performer to forge a 50-year career out of everyone else's hit records.

I'll say this for him, though -- there aren't too many country music legends of the era who didn't appear on his show at one time or another.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

What was that annoying couple on the show? They were always so gaga about each other and then I thought I heard they split up ...

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Do you mean Donna and Leroy? Yeah, they were pretty terrible. I don't know if they're still together or not.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Ooooh, she had some big hair, she did ...

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

We all did back in the 80s.... :-\

Draft saved Draft deleted