1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canuck sporcle fun

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I thought Mississagua was part of the GTA. I got 24, big fail out east and up north. Burnaby?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

It is part of the GTA, but not part of Toronto proper.

Toronto's most recent amalgamation took in Etobicoke (Mississauga's eastern neighbour), York, East York, North York and Scarborough.

The GTA encompasses Toronto and the surrounding regions of Durham, York, Peel and Halton, but those regions and their constituent cities (including Mississauga, which is part of Peel Region), remain separate municipalities.

http://www.region.durham.on.ca/images/clerk/gtamap.gif

The GTA in turn is part of the Golden Horseshoe, which extends roughly from Peterborough in the east and Barrie in the north to Kitchener-Waterloo in the west, swinging around the corner of Lake Ontario and taking in the Niagara Peninsula, right up to the U.S. border.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

We'd better consult with this noted cheeseburger expert.

[​IMG]

By the way, the new Trailer Park Boys movie hits theatres today! :D

The hell that breaks loose is that brand of fresh Trailer Park Boys hell, mayhem that involves gay jokes, pee jokes, fat jokes, drunk people jokes, pot jokes, white-trash jokes, white-rapper jokes and, most of all, jokes that end with a highly creative use of the F-bomb.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2009/09/24/f-trailer-park-boys-countdown-to-liquor-day.html

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I only got 21. Is my citizenship revoked?

In B.C. I think I named every city except Burnaby and Surrey. Didn't get Mississauga, again despite naming about 15 other Ontario cities. Had a brainfart when it came to PEI all together, although I had heard of all of three cities they just weren't coming to me, the rest of the maritimes were a mess although I did get one or two in each province -- was banking on knowing of the town of Antigonish coming through for me, but alas it that knowledge continues to be useless -- and I kept trying to spell Tuktuyuktuk (SP?) for Nunavut, which was apparently in vain. Outside of Yellowknife and Whitehorse, the territories were a mystery to me. Also failed to come up with Laval. But I aced Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba -- Yes I did get Thompson and Prince Albert.

Come on, did anybody really get Conception Bay South? And really Fort McMurray should count for Newfoundland.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It is, that's what threw me too. I put Sudbury, Barrie, Hamilton (hi, JR!), Kitchener....

Brampton might be fourth with 400K+

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

My dad remembers when Brampton's population might have been 4,000.

And the towns which are now part of Mississauga (Port Credit, Streetsville, etc.) weren't a whole lot bigger, if at all.

Times have changed.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

There is a 7pm showing in your area. I want a FULL report. This information has changed EVERYTHING!

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Mississauga, by itself, is actually the sixth largest city in Canada

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Reminds me of that sign at the start of "Welcome Back Kotter," proclaiming Brooklyn as the fourth largest city in America.

Would it still have that distinction if it were a separate entity?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Remember once reading that Brooklyn was the largest city in the US without a daily newspaper and an airport.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

GTA is a geographic area.

Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, et are all separate cities. Same as Burnaby and surrey in BC.

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

That's just it. I should have gotten it. Grrr.

Draft saved Draft deleted