1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canton Class of 2008 preliminary list released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You know who was very good, but nearly forgotten, from that list?

Matt Blair.

He was a linebacker on the Vikings right at the end of their 70s run and played at an All-Pro level into the 80s. He was a six-time Pro Bowler, feared stopper in his day, but almost totally overlooked.

He doesn't stand a chance for the Hall, but it's good to see some names on that list that merit consideration that aren't in the NFL Films Hall of Fame.

Another pair of older linebackers (before my time) that should be considered? Chris Hanburger and Maxie Baughn. They're overshadowed by Butkus and Nitschke, but if you look at their contributions to some good defenses, they deserve a shot.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

No players who played primarily for the Saints are in: Doug Atkins, Earl Campbell and Jim Taylor are players who had brief, end-of-career stops with the club. Hank Stram is in, but not for the Saints portion of his resume. Jim Finks is in there, and he certainly did tons with the Saints to bolster his HOF credentials. He was almost commissioner, too.

I think the Saints player with the best chance of making it in is probably Morten Andersen, although he's played more than half his career with other teams now.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Without looking it up...

No Archie Manning?

I think Willie Roaf may break that string.

4. Del_B_Vista

Archie's stats are nowhere near HOF-worthy, although many argue his abilities were. I did indeed forget about Roaf. He's a no-brainer.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Without looking it up...

No Billy Kilmer?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Willie Roaf shouldn't even be a question mark when he becomes eligible.

Morten Andersen should be a shoo-in, too. I know what many think of kickers, but the man was as good as any. He's still more than serviceable today, but back in his prime, I don't ever remember anyone else with his leg strength. Sebastian Janikowski is pretty close in that category now ...

Doug Atkins spent the tail end of his career with the Saints ... same with Jim Taylor and Earl Campbell and Hank Stram as a coach. I'd like to see Archie Manning get the shot, but I have serious doubts. Administratively, Jim Finks and Jim Mora finally pulled the Saints out of 20 years of misery. Getting John Mecom to sell the team didn't hurt, either.

7. Del_B_Vista

Not in the Hall.
    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.html

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Archie Manning??

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I'll give you Blair if you give me Tommy Nobis. How is he not already in there?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The closest Archie Manning will ever get to the Hall of Fame is if Peyton asks his dad to do his introduction.

Anderson belongs. People remember the old guy who keeps coming back over and over again, but for most of his career he had one of the most powerful legs in NFL history. Great field goal kicker and kick-off guy. Nobody was close.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thank you! Couldn't have said it any better myself HB!

As for my opinion, I think it might be the year of the receiver. AFter Irvin got in last year, the Hall needs to put in Monk, Reed and definitely Carter. I thought Reed should've went in before Irvin, but that's what Super Bowl wins does for a HOF campaigner. Sabols definitely need to get in! I think Haley gets in eventually but he'll wait a couple more years.

One thing I'm getting sick and tired of though is no love for "Bullet" Bob Hayes from the senior committee. The man died before seeing his name in the Ring of Honor and that was a shame in itself, but dammit, give the man the respect he deserves. He REVOLUTIONIZED the way receiver was played and how defenses had to adapt.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=2958207

The Broncos are one of 10 NFL teams with between 300 and 399 victories. The other nine average 355 victories. Denver has 371.

The other nine have won between 45 and 59 percent of games. Denver has won 53 percent.

The other nine average 2.1 league championships (AFL or NFL). The Broncos own two.

The other nine average 17.6 playoff appearances. Denver has 17.

Here's the kicker: The other nine have placed 62 people into the Hall of Fame, about seven apiece on average. Elway is the only Bronco, giving Denver as many inductees as New Orleans, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Cincinnati.

Draft saved Draft deleted