1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canton Class of 2008 preliminary list released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Jackson would have garnered a lot more attention if he had played somewhere other than New Orleans. And this wouldn't be a debate ... it would be every bit the slam dunk Darrell Green and Cris Carter should be.

I wouldn't mind if someone gave Jackson's Dome Patrol teammate time of day ... ;)

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

In checking, Zimmerman was on both teams.

The all-90s linemen seems to be most of the discussion -- William Roaf, Gary Zimmerman, Tony Boselli, Richmond Webb, Bruce Matthews, Randall McDaniel, Larry Allen, Steve Wisniewski, Dermontti Dawson and Mark Stepnoski

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pat Swilling? :)

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Then they all should be in the Hall.

5. Sam Mills 51

He wasn't on that list, but he was the best pass rusher of the quartet. Vaughn Johnson, Rickey Jackson and some dude named Mills were so good against the run that it allowed Swilling to specialize is going after the quarterback.

Swilling was the pass rusher, Jackson was the best two-way linebacker, Johnson hit harder than a train and Mills was the thinker and surest tackler. Jackson should be in the HOF eventually.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is that the same Jackson that played at Pitt and in the shadow of Hugh Green?

Hugh was a decent pro, but Jackson was far better.

7. Sam Mills 51

One and the same, 93Devil.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

There are no primary Saints players in the Hall, are there? No Falcons, either. Looks like most of that division (the old NFC West) has been ignored, with the obvious exception of the Walsh-era 49ers.

9. outofplace

I know. I was kidding about Swilling, though he was a heck of a player. That group of linebackers was outstanding.

One of the great contributions of the USFL was giving Sam Mills a chance when no NFL team would. He earned his way to the NFL by playing so well for Jim Mora's Baltimore/Philadelphia Stars, then played for Mora in New Orleans. Much as I was a fan of Mills, I just don't see him as a Hall of Famer. Definitely not ahead of Rickey Jackson.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

SM51, for what it's worth, I've been saying for several years now that Sam Mills should be in the Hall of Fame. He was as good a tackler as has ever played the game, a tremendous leader, and a versatile player who could cover, rush and cause turnovers. He was the best inside linebacker of his era, and that includes Mike Singletary.

FWIW, I'd put Ray Guy in, too.

11. Sam Mills 51

da man, that's a nice thought about Sam, but to some Bears fans, those would be fighting words. I won't disagree with you, though. If the Saints had some championship-caliber teams and the Bears were under the radar, I honestly wonder if Mills' and Singletary's legacies would have similarly been swapped.

OOP, I think Jackson should be in. No questions asked. Mills? Maybe ... obviously, I'd like to think so, but I might be a little biased.

12. outofplace

Trust me. I wouldn't be upset to see Mills go in. I don't think he had the impact that Singletary did, but I tend to favor a 4-3 middle linebacker over a 3-4 inside linebacker. Put 'em both in and I wouldn't complain.

Draft saved Draft deleted