1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canton Class of 2008 preliminary list released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Carter and Green are locks. Guy will never get in. The electorate, which includes many dear friends, has a nasty bias against kickers, and punters they don't even consider to be kickers. It's wrong, but it'll never change.
    I don't get dissing Plunkett. He's the only eligible QB with more than one NFL title who isn't in already. One might be a fluke. Two, you had something to do with it.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I agree. There was not a punt or kick that didn't have his name in the play-by-play -- offense or defense.

3. Ray Guy's an interesting possibility.
    And I think Andre Tippett's worth a vote, even though he played on awful teams. It as him and LT and nobody else at LB during his era.
    I've given up on these idiots and Art Monk, I really have.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Maybe I just have my green and gold glasses on, but I think Leroy Butler has to be considered strongly. He had 38 INTs and 20.5 sacks as a safety and played on two Super Bowl teams, one title. He also invented the Lambeau Leap. It's strange that for as good as those Packer teams of the 90s were that there are only two sure HOFers, Favre and Reggie White. I think Butler's a bubble guy who should get an extra look for a great career.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Green is a lock. Monk should have been in long ago. And this is coming from a guy who hated those Redskins teams they were on.

Kato, why does inventing the Lameau Leap matter? Should we be putting in Ickey Woods for the Ickey Shuffle, too?

Butler was a Hall of Very Good player, nothing more.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Phil Simms isn't in yet.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

The Lambeau Leap doesn't matter. It was tongue in cheek, which I didn't express very well.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Phil Simms only won one Super Bowl, XXI. Super Bowl XXV was won by Jeff Hostetler, filling in for the injured Simms that year.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Steve Atwater ... if for nothing more than the shot he delivered on Christian Okoye and the hit he laid on Robert Brooks (and Randy Hilliard) on the next to last play of SB XXXII.

And it would be nice if there were more than a grand total of ONE Denver Bronco in the HOF. Franchise has been kinda good, after all.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He still played in 14 games and put up good numbers. Gee said the only one with more than one title. Simms has more than one title. That's all I was saying.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I guess he doesn't count though since Hostetler actually QB'ed in the playoffs and Super Bowl that year while Simms watched with a clipboard because of injury.

12. No love for Tony Boselli?
    He was a pretty stout offensive lineman for a number of years.
    Maybe OL don't muster enough recognition to a first-ballot guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted