1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't we all just get along?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Heard part of an interview with him on NPR the other day. LADP still asks him to speak to youth groups. And, he says, he has lots of new information about the riots and stuff. (Oh, he also has a new memoir out; what a co-inky-dink, huh?)

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Whatevs.

It's here, just like the Coliseum is downtown.

3. TigerVols

Here's a better link to the actual real time tweeting.

https://twitter.com/#!/RealTimeLARiots

4. TigerVols

You know the dates of playoff games from 20 years ago, but you think Shaq-Kobe started in 2006?

;)

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Even in Northern California, they closed down our malls and movie theaters...

We'll see what the riots are like if Zimmerman walks...

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

There won't be any. People don't seem to care about current events the way they used to. Most of our riots happen after fucking sports teams lose now.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I was living in Kingsburg, CA at the time (about 20 minutes south of Fresno). I had already decided to go to USC in the fall - needless to say, my folks were pretty nervous about it after the Riots closed the campus for finals that year. Also, I was supposed to drive to pick my brother up from the Greyhound station in downtown Fresno that night - he had been up in San Francisco for a while - but my mom basically told me I couldn't go once the Riots started in LA. Basically, she was worried that as a white 17-year-old with purple hair, I would be a target if the rioting started in Fresno.

Needless to say, there was no rioting in Fresno that night that I remember.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I remember the first night of the riots vividly. I was on the first date with the woman who was to become my wife.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Was there any looting...in your pants?

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It was eerie. My senior year of high school.

We did have rioting in my city and, that first night, my friends who were black were not friendly to me (a dopey white guy) at all. Some were downright hostile. And these were people I had grown up with and known for a decade. We had celebrated each other' birthdays, played on athletic teams. We were close.

The unfortunate part is that much of that went unresolved as we graduated three weeks later. Then many of us went our separate ways for college.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

We have four kids, so, eventually, yes.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

About 99 times out of 100 I would agree... I think this case is the exception. I would be happy to be wrong...

Draft saved Draft deleted