1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't we all just get along?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 24, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was a HUGE fan of that Trailblazers fan team (which I believe was a 1 seed in the west) and was watching that game. I remember being pissed that the Lakers won until I heard over the PA system about the riots, then my focus obviously shifted.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What's Reginald Denny doing these days?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And god that was a depressing Lakers team to watch. Worthy also missed the last half of the season. And Threatt as the backup PG they so desperately needed was going to be the guy who helped get them back to the finals. Damn it.

Has the tweeting of past events been going on for a long time and I just noticed it with Titanic, or is it a new occurrence? And can it stop?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was a dark era for the Lakers, between Showtime and Shaq-Kobe which didn't start until fall 2006.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

LA Times did an excellent front-page story on Sunday and a double truck on the inside with a timeline and photos. They've also been doing coverage up to and after the riots anniversary, too.

Nice job given what they've been through in recent years.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Dark for the Lakers but they didn't really hit the bottom in that span. Van Exel was pretty good and Divac also. forget the exact years but i remember a couple seasons with Del Harris thinking they underachieved. it wasn't like the Bulls after Jordan-Pippen, they just sucked before putting together the current nucleaus.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I guess I misremembered. Game 3 at Sports Arena night before the riots. Game 4, five days later at Anaheim Convention Center.
    I do remember being at Dodger Stadium the night the riots started. Every TV in the press box was tuned to news channels. Saw about a half-dozen fires driving out of there afterward, some within a block or two of the 10-110 interchanges.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Speaking of Dodger Stadium, how could anyone forget, later that summer, those back-to-back-to-back doubleheaders between the Dodgers and Expos? LAPD had its mobile command in the stadium parking lot as well.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's a boat mechanic in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I had never seen "riots" in the schedule portion of the NBA Glance on the wire. Couldn't remember the specifics, obviously, but enough to recall it was something I'd never seen before.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Great riff in that song. It used to be played all the time at one of my favorite watering holes.

Draft saved Draft deleted