1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't turn my car lights off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 21, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Take a hammer and smash all the lights. Then they won't draw off the battery.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Pretty sure.

Just remember where you put it.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Get some needle-nose pliers and a flashlight. Shine the flashlight into the hole where the knob was. See that little metal stick? Grab it with the pliers. Turn it whichever direction turns off the lights.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If that doesn't work, consider the fuse alternative. It should require only a pair of pliers and a good flashlight.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ball-peen hammer in the right spot will take care of it.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You must not have a late-model Chevy. I've hardly ever had to touch the headlight switch. The lights come on automatically when it gets dark.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sheeeit, my old 1985 Buick did that.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Most GM cars do that now.

He has a Ford. Automagic headlights are optional.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The coin didn't work. The pliers did and will get me through the weekend. It's not as if I have a choice.
    After the game was over, I went to a nearby Ford Dealership. Not only didn't they have the part in stock, I was told no dealership in the area had the part. They could order it and have it Monday, but that dealership is an hour away from me.
    I headed home and stopped at a dealership near home, but by the time I got there the parts and service departments were closed. Then I tried a used auto parts place down the street from me. Also closed.
    Is it wrong for me to want to take care of this or have it taken care of as quickly, easily and cheaply as possible, without having to go on a treasure hunt to find the part?

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Well, no, not really. But as long as you have a viable Plan B, go ahead and take your time. Now you have the time to find what you need for a maybe a buck or two on Monday instead of being swindled for 10 bucks today.

I had a similar problem once. I pulled the fuse. Odd thing was that the same fuse also controlled the automatic side mirror control.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I must admit, I am rather lazy when it comes to these things. The knob started falling off a few months ago, but I was always able to put it back on. I mentioned the problem to my brother and asked if crazy glue might work. He took a look at the knob and how it broke off and said it wouldn't. He said I'd either have to go to a dealership or a junkyard. Because it costs less, he recommended the latter. Because whether or not a given junkyard would have the part seemed like a crapshoot, I decided against it. I really don't want to have to go from one junkyard to the next to the next to find the part. I just feel like I have better things to do than go on a treasure hunt.
    Now I guess I have no choice.

12. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

I'm sure they'll turn themselves off in due time.

Draft saved Draft deleted