1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't turn my car lights off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The knob that turns my car's lights on and off has broken and when I tried to re-attach it so I could turn my lights off, it didn't grip on to what it was attached. I called Triple A to see if I could get the lights turned off so the battery doesn't run down.
    I need to cover a state championship game tomorrow at 11 so I'm not going to have time to get it fixed tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to find a Ford dealership near the field where I could get it replaced or re-attached. I know it's going to cost more than going to a junkyard, finding the part and fixing it myself, but I just don't have the time.
    Amazing how a piece of plastic that's worth less than $1 can cause so many problems.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

See if a coin can fit someplace in there and turn the remaining plastic.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or unhook the battery cables.

4. 93Devil

My F150 did the same thing, or I think it did.

I have a penny wedged in the remaining plastic and it works just fine.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Most auto parts stores have semi-generic parts for things like this. See what they've got there--it might be a 5-minute fix.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Can you remove the fuse so the headlights will turn off?

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Smalltaters, look at the "business end" of the knob, then try to find something else -- one of the knobs from the heater controls, for example -- that might match it. I'll also second the parts-store solution, if there's one still open near you.

8. Smallpotatoes

I tried the Auto Zone across the street from me and they didn't have anything. He suggested a nearby junkyard.

9. 93Devil

Superglue out of the question?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Junkyard
    Stealership
    Superglue
    Coin/screwdriver

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'll echo Angola. Just pull the fuse.

12. Smallpotatoes

If I pull the fuse, could I put it back in so I could drive at night if necessary?

Draft saved Draft deleted