1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't turn my car lights off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The knob that turns my car's lights on and off has broken and when I tried to re-attach it so I could turn my lights off, it didn't grip on to what it was attached. I called Triple A to see if I could get the lights turned off so the battery doesn't run down.
    I need to cover a state championship game tomorrow at 11 so I'm not going to have time to get it fixed tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to find a Ford dealership near the field where I could get it replaced or re-attached. I know it's going to cost more than going to a junkyard, finding the part and fixing it myself, but I just don't have the time.
    Amazing how a piece of plastic that's worth less than $1 can cause so many problems.
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

See if a coin can fit someplace in there and turn the remaining plastic.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or unhook the battery cables.
  4. 93Devil

My F150 did the same thing, or I think it did.

I have a penny wedged in the remaining plastic and it works just fine.
  5. OTD

OTD Active Member

Most auto parts stores have semi-generic parts for things like this. See what they've got there--it might be a 5-minute fix.
  6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Can you remove the fuse so the headlights will turn off?
  7. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

Smalltaters, look at the "business end" of the knob, then try to find something else -- one of the knobs from the heater controls, for example -- that might match it. I'll also second the parts-store solution, if there's one still open near you.
  8. Smallpotatoes

I tried the Auto Zone across the street from me and they didn't have anything. He suggested a nearby junkyard.
  9. 93Devil

Superglue out of the question?
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'll echo Angola. Just pull the fuse.
  12. Smallpotatoes

If I pull the fuse, could I put it back in so I could drive at night if necessary?
Draft saved Draft deleted