1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't remember the last time I felt this nervous

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Dec 18, 2006.

1. danhawks

danhawks Member

A couple of years ago, to watch a stage of the Tour de France and visit my sister in Spain, I flew into France and rented a car, and flew out of Spain. I got a major hassle from the French angency about returning the car in Spain, and after about an hour of giving each other mean looks, they relented and said "oh, we have a Spain car here." So, I would give you two pieces of advice...try to set up a rental rate ahead of time and get it guaranteed...even if you have to pay a little more than you want. And, if at all possible, ask about getting a car that's registered in the country that you're going to fly out of. It should eliminate some hassles.
    But, driving in Europe is much better, in most cases, than driving here. Of course, the cities are complicated, but it's no worse than driving in New York, LA or Houston. The countryside is awesome: high speeds, safe drivers and credit cards at the toll booths!!!
    Have a great trip.

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Aren't rental cars with automatic transmission very rare in Europe?

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Yes. I was fortunate to snag one in a small town in Germany (and with an expired US license to boot!). Driving on the autobahn was probably my most fun driving experience. I had no idea how fast I was going (the speedometer was in kilometers) so I just kept up with the traffic. I found out later I was driving 130-140 mph on a few stretches.

Have a great trip!!!

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I can't offer any advice on driving in Europe, other than to echo the others to learn to drive a manual if you don't already know how.

I used to work in automotive rental, and the Europeans who were in the States seem shocked that we didn't have manual-transmission vehicles. I had to explain to him that Americans are not as willing to shift their own gears, that we would have more cars in the repair line than in reserve spaces because of the "if-you-can't-find-it-grind-it" sorts and because resale value of those vehicles with manuals would be suspect at best because Americans are too lazy to use manuals.

And yes, I'm American. Love my manual-transmission car.

Columbo, call up one of the reputable companies, make the reservations in advance, make sure you write down the confirmation number - usually only used when all else fails, but still - and print out whatever maps you can on this side of the pond unless you're fluent in Italian.

Have fun.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I have a European friend who had to rent a car in the U.S. one time. I actually had to teach him how to drive an automatic. He was as nervous with the automatic as many Americans are with the clutch.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Sam...I'd never buy an automatic....it's too boring for me. I also think driving a stickshift is safer,..the ability to downshift and slow down is big, and you get a better feel about the car and its ability.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Automatics are boring, AL. And I don't get along with idiotboxes ... I want a particular gear and the only way to force a shift is to step on the gas. Way too temperamental.

The idiotboxes are supposedly getting better, but I still see no point in paying how much hundreds of dollars to cede control of something I can operate better myself. And for those of you in more wintery weather than I usually endure, I have to believe more control over engine RPMs and power band can't do anything but help keep wheel spin to a minimum.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Love me some autobahn. Too bad the interstate system is a cheap knockoff.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've rented cars in a few countries in Europe (including good old drive-on-the-left England) and have had no problem, unless you count trying to find the Rental Car Return at CDG airport in Paris. I've rented from Hertz everytime.

Have fun . . . and beware of the Italian drivers.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Thanks, everyone.

Any lodging suggestions in (Italy) Rome, Florence, Genoa, Venice, (Austria) Salzburg, (Germany) Schwangau, (Switzerland) Montreux, (France) Paris, Lyon and Nice. ... bring em on!

I may splurge and stay at the Negresco in Nice, where I stayed many, many moons ago for an incredible couple of nights.

I appreciate the great bits of advice.

P.S. Do you have to park outside Venice?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Hey kids . . . Big Ben, Parliament!"

I don't buy that for a minute. What you gain in "ability to slow down" you lose in reaction time to avoid the accident in the first place because your mind is on the gearbox and your foot is on the clutch.

I prefer washing clothes by machine, touch-tone instead of rotary . . . and automatic transmission.

If I want to feel the road, I'll walk.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

European driving is actually great fun if you stay off the main highways. Take the smaller roads and enjoy the scenery. Stop in the small towns in Italy and share an espresso with the locals. Don't be in a rush and remember that part of the adventure is getting there.

Oh, and rent the smallest car that you can and pack light.

Draft saved Draft deleted