1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't find the damned travel thread again, so ... Boston?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UPChip, May 25, 2021.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, for sure. My wife asked if it was appropriate for our youngest and I said it wasn't a haunted-house tour with chainsaw-toting loonies. I figure we'll get some history and take in the locals' Halloween decor (if they're like my neighborhood, they started putting stuff up after Labor Day).

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Salem High's football team has a witch on a broomstick as its helmet logo, so in a sense the decorations never come down up there.

playthrough and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thanks @sgreenwell for the East Bay Bike Path suggestion. Really pretty 29-mile down and back from India Point Park. And coincidentally, the Naragansett Brewery is right across the street. I feel I’ve earned one!

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Nice! Glad I could be of service. :)

Cosmo likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Had a great week in Boston but didn't expect to have shorts weather every day. My daughter's cross country coach ran the Boston Marathon, and we were able to track his entire race on an app including being at Cleveland Circle just in time to cheer him on. That kind of stuff still blows my mind.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had an enjoyable few days there, including finding a cool spot called Side Bar downtown to watch the Sunday games. Stunningly cheap for downtown in a major city...felt like I was a regular by the time the Pats game ended. Finishing up a few days in Portland before heading south in the morning. Did a high level tour of Acadia yesterday and definitely want to go back for more, maybe to camp for a few days. Got in a great bike ride today through downtown and across the Casco Bay bridge to Bug Light and back, and I'm about to do a bit of brewery hopping. Glorious afternoon.

playthrough likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sidebar is outstanding. If you drive through Boston tomorrow and find yourself with some extra time and a desire to step into a time warp, hit up Whitey's in South Boston. It's the last true old-school dive left in the city.

8. sgreenwell

If you love breweries, you can do a night or two in each region of New England, haha. Just tons of great stuff, between Rhode Island, the Boston area, the college towns of Vermont, Portland in Maine, and even the Worcester Hills have Wachusett and Wormtown and other stuff.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hell, here on the Cape there are about six, including one good one a 5-10 minute drive from my house.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Went to the new Trillium facility in Canton on Friday night, holy cow that place is impressive. Just gigantic. Great beer and one of the best wood-fired pizzas I've ever had -- Three Little Pigs with sausage, crispy pancetta and prosciutto. Melt in your mouth good.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

Trillium is awesome - a wide range of brews there, which is nice. For the longest time, Treehouse (near Sturbridge, MA) has the highest ratings in the U.S. on Untapped. That's where my wedding venue was near, so we checked it out on one trip, and man, they have some incredible stuff. Worth the 30 to 60 minute line to get in sometimes.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Wachusetts is garbage. How it survived almost 30 years is beyond me.
    Brick and Feather is a place to check out. A few years ago its beer was the favorite of people at NERAX.

Draft saved Draft deleted