1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't find the damned travel thread again, so ... Boston?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UPChip, May 25, 2021.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic info, gang. Thank you. Yeah, I'd have never checked in advance to see if a station was closed for construction, so finding out the hard way on Lechmere would have sucked.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When does fall break happen, early October? Keep in mind that it’s foliage season. It’s not as good here as in New Hampshire or Maine or out west, but that will lead to an uptick in tourists.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think that’s where Francona was staying for a while.

4. playthrough

We'll be there Oct. 10-15. Yeah, I can imagine my women wanting to take a day trip to chase the leaves.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good info on this thread. I'm replacing my Canada road trip with a New England jaunt, starting a week from tomorrow. Hoped to stop in Newport for a night and a day, hang in Boston for a couple and then head up to Portland before scooting back. Also thinking of catching a Caps-Devils game in Newark on the way back. Love the idea of doing southern Canada, but the time just isn't right with COVID regulations and quarantine policies. Can't afford to get stuck north of the border. I too was looking for something close to a T station to park the car as I remember from previous trips up that way to cover Tech-BC football games that the traffic is a nightmare. Will investigate some of the things posted here. Thanks.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Newport itself can be pretty expensive, year-round, now. Staying in Middletown, Portsmouth or Tiverton (still on the same island) or even Warwick (where the airport is, but it's only a 20 to 30 minute drive to Newport) might be more economically feasible, if you need to.

Cosmo likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Nice, thanks. A friend of mine had mentioned Portsmouth as a cool little place. I haven't been through Newport since I was 18 so I wanted to stop through again and reconnect. Don't necessarily need to stay downtown. This is going to be a throw the bike and golf clubs in the back of the CRV and roam sort of trip. No idea what the weather will be like, but unless it's frigid, I should be able to ride. I have some cool weather gear.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The long-range forecast shows a gradual warming trend toward the low 70s, albeit with rain. Hope that holds.

Traffic again is a nightmare. Not sure how many old Marriott points you have kicking around, but there is a Marriott about a mile from the Quincy Adams stop on the Red Line that has a shuttle to/from the subway. That’s right across the highway from Granite Links, which is semi-private — apparently it’s one of the top courses in the U.S.? The bar and restaurant there have a great view of the skyline. And there are a ton of courses further south of the city and down on the Cape.

9. playthrough

Putting together my itinerary for Boston next week and booked a witch history tour one night in Salem. Pretty excited about that, since it's October and in our neighborhood Halloween and all things haunted are a very big deal.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Portsmouth is a little suburb-y to me, but it does have a good brewery, Ragged Island. :) It's not like Newport, where you pop down to America's Cup Avenue, and walk along the shops and stores for most of the day, or, check out the mansion tours. However, Rhode Island is so small that you can kind of check out two or three places that interest you in a day, regardless of where they are in the state. Almost anything cool is going to be along Route 95 or Route 138. The East Bay Bike Path is cool. (There is a long-term goal of doing a bike path that'll go across the whole state, with enough public transit options to get you from Newport to South County to continue it, but it's one of those things that's been in development since the early 2000s and not really nailed down entirely yet.)

wicked and Cosmo like this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Very interested in the East Bay Bike Path. That's right up my alley, thanks for the heads up!

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The witch history tour is very interesting, but it's a serious presentation of Colonial history, not a spooky Halloween thing. Halloween itself in Salem will draw a crowd of 100,000 in non-covid years. Not nearly as drunken as Mardi Gras, but better costumes.

Draft saved Draft deleted