1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't Bonds Play 9?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 7, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The people I truly feel for are the news people all over the country who are being forced to ride this out with us.

We're going with a photo on the front to refer to our sports coverage, so the night news editor is along for the ride.

She, for one, is not amused.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would greatly improve your posting. And I never said don't post. I said that we don't need all these extra Bonds threads.

Apparently you need help with reading comprehension as well as posting. I'm pretty busy, but if you need a moment or two of consultation here and there, I'm sure we can work something out. ;D

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't classify a guy who leads the fucking majors in OPS as a "mediocre hitter."

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Have you watched him hit lately Walter or do you judge everything by a number that's inflated by the walks he gets?
    He looks pathetic on at least half his swings

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'd still rather have Barry up in the 10th inning with the bases empty than almost any other schlub the Giants can throw out there with the bases loaded.

As for his defense, now that is truly pathetic.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bonds can't turn on an inside pitch and he flails away at anything outside. He walks a thousand times because he's living off his steroid-enhanced reputation.

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Yes, I have watched him hit this season. And do you think there's a reason for why he's drawing all those walks? I'm guessing that if he was truly a "mediocre hitter," more pitchers would be willing to go at him. But I suppose that secret's not out yet.

As for having "occasional power," here is an abridged list of hitters who have fewer homers than Bonds this year: Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Travis Hafner, Lance Berkman, David Wright, Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, Chipper Jones, Vlad Guerrero. Can't imagine saying any of those guys have "occasional power" unless you were trying to be funny.

His lack of speed, fine, I will grant you that. Teams pinch-run for slow hitters all the time. But someone's gotta get on base for them to pinch-run.

As for your contention that the Giants have no use for him once he hits No. 756, I'll place a wager with you that SF continues to draw terrificly after he goes deep again. That's the use he serves.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I never said the Giants have no use for him once he hits 756, but don't let facts interfere with your statistical masturbation.

The kid Lannon from the Nats went after him last night and the old man look bad.
    Dontrelle went after him last week, and the old man looked bad.
    Maddux made him look like a fool.

He walks a lot because he still can be very selective and because too many people are afraid of the Barry Bonds of the past, not the current shell of Barry Bonds.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. And just think about how many more games and plate appearances the players on that list have on Bonds.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

What makes you think he's no longer taking HGH? There's no test for it, baybee!!

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And here's a list of players with as many or more home runs than Bonds:

Adam Dunn
    Miguel Cabrera
    Dan Uggla
    Andruw Jones (in his worst offensive year in memory)
    Matt Holliday
    Ryan Braun
    Carlos Pena
    Paul Konerko
    Hideki Matsui (despite missing most of the year)
    Alex Rios

So the point is...

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

... Bonds has more than "occasional power."

Draft saved Draft deleted